Thread: Barrel nut wrench and action wrench and barrel vise

Basic Member

Barrel nut wrench and action wrench and barrel vise

Do you need both to remove and install a barrel? do you need a barrel vise?

Basic Member
    You have to have the barrel nut wrench. Then you need either of the two (action wrench or barrel vise) to complete the barrel swap. I choose to get the action wrench and it works really well.

lrshooting
    You need a block of hard oak 2 inches thick and 4-6 inches long and wide. Cut it long ways. Take either 1) a rip saw at a 45 degree angle and cut a "v" channel in both sides of the block or 2) measure your action and choose the closest size smaller wood bit (I use spade bits), drill dead center between the blocks while they are clamped and use a dremel or file to remove the rest if the action wont press in there when you put it in a vice.

I personally used the v block because It was quicker. One more thing tho, put your action in the block and make sure the recoil lug is center on one of the blocks. Out line it, take the action back out and make a 1/4" depression that the recoil lug will fit in snuggly when you put the action back in the vice.

Depending on your gun, you'll either need a pipe wrench or a barrel nut wrench. If your barrel nut has grooves, get a barrel nut wrench from Mr. Briggs up at northland shooter supply. If you have a smooth nut, stick a pipe wrench on it and just get a new nut because the clamp bar for getting those off is more expensive than the barrel nut wrench and a new precision nut.

Forgot ti mention you gotta stick the action blocks in a vice or some really heavy clamps to get them to hold

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon327 View Post
    Do you need both to remove and install a barrel? do you need a barrel vise?
    i bought all three and for barrel change-outs only use the action wrench and nut wrench. with the action wrench you should have a vise to mount it in, that helps! i only use my barrel vise when i'm working on an action or cleaning really dirty barrels. the barrel vise you can really do without.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

gotcha
    Once I got a barrel vise (from Jim Briggs) I was amazed at how much it allowed me to do. Mounting bases, rings & scopes, fine adjustments on triggers, as well as, Head space. Much faster than mounting your action wrench in a vise. For me, much easier to twist the receiver onto the barrel than visa-versa. Yes, as devil dog says, you can do without a barrel vice but, it sure makes life easier for a variety of maintenance tasks. Just my .02

Basic Member
    I would think both. Having said that I only have the action wrench, but when ever I swap barrels, it can be a guessing game when tightening the nut. Sometimes by barrel turns a little bit too, and it changes headspace. Might be better to lock both.

Have to admit the barrel vice for mounting scopes and such isn't a bad idea.

Basic Member
    sure you don't need the barrel vise and i did buy one but i do use it from time to time. the last week or so i have been using it to hold my barrels steady while i was trying to get the muzzle brakes to free up. they are handy and if you got the extra cash it wouldn't hurt to have one around.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

I used a nut wrench and an action vise to remove and install all my barrels. I took the handle off of the action vise and locked it in my bench vise.