Thread: Looking for a temperature stable long range 30-06 load

Basic Member

Looking for a temperature stable long range 30-06 load

Hi guys, I just signed up for a long range class near me and I'm looking for a good distance load for 30-06. The class will be at a private range (600 yards) that granted use for two days for this class. For right now, the longest range I have access to is 300 yards. I have a ton of lake city brass that my father-in-law gave me, cci 250 primers and 208gr amax pills. Just need a stable, high velocity powder, that's temp stable and some base data.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    I'll let you find your own charge weight - 4064 has been incredibly consistent powder for me in the 30.06. For long range having consistency out the end of the barrel is something to behold. Yes velocity will minimize wind drift, but having a low ES and SD contribute to the same drop amount at the long ranges involved in distance shooting.

Lots of options though. Hogdon powders have less temperature variance for me than most powders, I'd avoid the double base powders when looking for temperature stability.

Basic Member
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is ES and SD? Sorry, I just built my two rifles and haven't really gotten into the really technical stuff until now.

Basic Member
    ES is short for "EXTREME SPREAD"
    SD is short for "STANDARD DEVIATION".
    Both are terms used when chronographing loads and have to do with varing bullet speeds fired thru a cronograph.

Basic Member
    ScopeEye posted this link that includes some loads.
    http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...30-06.html?m=1

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burr View Post
    I'll let you find your own charge weight - 4064 has been incredibly consistent powder for me in the 30.06. For long range having consistency out the end of the barrel is something to behold. Yes velocity will minimize wind drift, but having a low ES and SD contribute to the same drop amount at the long ranges involved in distance shooting.

Lots of options though. Hogdon powders have less temperature variance for me than most powders, I'd avoid the double base powders when looking for temperature stability.
    IMR 4064 has also been my "go to" powder for 308. FAIRLY temp stable, and extremely accurate. Not sure if you were talking about IMR or the other powder manufacturer.

Team Savage
    It's worth mentioning that IMR's new 8208XBR powder claims to be temperature stable from -40 to 140 degrees.

I do know that it can be used in .308's, could work for .30-06.

Alright, this "temp stable" dribble that Hodgdon has been randomly spewing; needs to stop being eaten up!!

Temp stability from powders are ONLY that, under a specific set of conditions, they ARE NOT a universal property!

The VERY old double base H335 is MUCH more stable in the 223, than Varget is, for an example. With 150gr bullets in the 308, Varget does well, because that is what it was designed for.
    The land warfare boys have been doing temp stability stuff for a very long time, the most stable (in their designed application) are General Dynamics ball powders out of Florida. The good Dr. Denton Bramwell had also been scientifically testing this for quite some time.
    Even by the VERY limited info on the tests you get from Hodgdon, their own data shows that a number of instances the difference not being statistically valid.

Don't cook your ammo in the sun, don't cook it in a hot chamber and you won't know the difference.

Also IMR & Hodgdon are not "Manufacturers" they are brands resold by the surplus seller Hodgdon. The canister grade market (us, the reloader) is a waste market.
    Last edited by darkker; 07-03-2015 at 04:25 AM.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post

Don't cook your ammo in the sun, don't cook it in a hot chamber and you won't know the difference.
    Just to allude to darkker's post, its not the air temperature, but the cartridge temperature when its fired. I seldom shoot my big game rifles in the summer when the temps are in the 70 plus range. If I do I'll put the ammo in a cooler w/ice pack so they're roughly at the same temp as I expect to be using it in the fall and winter.

As a matter of fact if you look back at my posts here you'll see why cartridge temp is used in the best guess calculations.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...lowing-primers

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willyp View Post
    ES is short for "EXTREME SPREAD"
    SD is short for "STANDARD DEVIATION".
    Both are terms used when chronographing loads and have to do with varing bullet speeds fired thru a cronograph.
    Correct. To amplify, a chronograph typically measures the speed of each shot. Then, when you signal that you're done with a string of 5 or 10 shots (or whatever) by pushing the "save" button, it stores and calculates the average velocity of that group as well as the spread between the highest and lowest speed (ES). From the recorded data it calculates the Standard Deviation which, roughly defined, is a statistical term representing the deviation of the velocity your shots. In other words, a SD of 15.8 means that roughly two thirds of your shots will have a velocity plus or minus 15.8 fps from the average velocity of that particular string of shots. Obviously, a low ES and a low SD are desirable and indicate consistency in your reloading routine; not only powder charge weight, but brass preparation, neck tension, etc.

Unfortunately, good ES and SD results don't always give you small groups................... sigh.

JCalhoun
    Grab some Varget or 4064 and some 175gr MatchKings.