Thread: American Eagle 223 50 VT

Basic Member

American Eagle 223 50 VT

I have been debating picking up some of the 223 AE 50g varmint tips currently on sale at PSA for $5.89/20. I picked up a couple boxes at a local shop today to see if they would be any better than FMJ for accuracy. To my surprise, sub MOA from a 16" AR built from random parts.

20 rounds were shot and then reloaded 3 times. 1 time each with 55 Rem FMJ, 52 Hornady HP, 53 VMAX over a stiff charge of AA2520. Primer pockets are still good. Had to ream the light crimp on some, but not all.
    Case weight variation of 20pc was 1.2g (91.7g - 92.9g)
    Case length 1.7335" - 1.7400"

Couldn't see a reason not to order more.

Basic Member
    That's a dirt cheap price. Best I've found is 9.95 and I always buy a bunch cause my model 12 LOVES those. Who and where is PSA? I'd like to order a bunch.

Scratch that….looked them up and ordered 10 boxes. I reload them too and have no trouble with the Federal ( read somewhere that they are Lake City ) brass. They don't grow in my gun so I never have to bump the shoulder, just neck size and remove primer crimp. Good, reliable brass for CHEAP.
    Last edited by Texas10; 06-29-2015 at 12:50 PM.

I will give you a hint. When they make all these cheap fmj bullets they are made to a standard or 2 moa. Some will shoot ok depending on your barrel but in reality they are garbage. Try black hills match loads and varmint. They shoot real well for reloads.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    The AE varmint tips that I tried shoot real well considering the price. If the brass is as consistent as my small sample, they should shoot extremely well when they are converted to my reloads. At 50 yards the 53 VMAX I loaded over AA2520 resulted in 3 shots in one hole and two in another with only a hair's width of paper between them. When the weather improves I will try them and the reloads with 53 VMAX in my Model 12 1:7 LRPV. The AR is 1:7 as well (Sportsman's Guide $80 barrel).

I'm trying to get my brother to order 1000 rounds for a potential prairie dog hunt this fall since he doesn't reload.

As noted by Texas, I sized in a Lee collet neck die and they barely changed length from the first firing to the fourth.

Basic Member
    Something very curious about the American Eagle Tipped Varmint ammo- P/N AE223GTV. If I go to PSA's website to order these, I see velocity information (3325 FPS) etc. However, when I go to Federal's website to get the manufactures info directly, this particular ammo does not exist and I can find no reference to it at all. I suspect it is loaded by another manufacturer and not Federal however, the American Eagle brand is indeed represented on Federal's website, just not this particular load. What gives? Anyone have an idea why all the mystery surrounding the p/n AE223GTV ?

I'm just trying to figure out why it shoots so darn well out of my model 12 BVSS and I'd like to know if they're using a Nosler bullet but maybe not advertising it.

Basic Member
    It could be a special run just for PSA
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    They're widely available, not just PSA. I usually get them on sale at Cabelas for 9.99 per 20 and have never found them cheaper until this sale at PSA

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    I will give you a hint. When they make all these cheap fmj bullets they are made to a standard or 2 moa. Some will shoot ok depending on your barrel but in reality they are garbage. Try black hills match loads and varmint. They shoot real well for reloads.
    Pay attention Jon, we're talking about ammo with varmint ballistic tip bullets, not FMJ's.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I read somewhere they're Hornady bullets. Cannot personally verify this.

Basic Member
    Here is more than you probably want to know about Federal, ATK, Vista Outdoor Group, etc, but still no specific info about this particular SKU number ammo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...ium_Ammunition
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista_Outdoor

The bullet used seems to be a Hornaday V-Max with a different colored polymer tip. The gray tipped bullet and the trademark Hornaday V-Max look and measure identically as far as I can tell. Searching the web and Youtube I find all kinds of velocity info ranging from a Youtube video where the shooter claims his Chrono measured it at around 2800 fps, to numerous shops advertising for sale and listing it at 3325 or 3350 fps.
    If you go the the Federal website you'll find the closest similar round is the AE223G, a jacketed hollow point with a velocity of 3325. Typically, tipped ammo is assumed to be slightly faster, which may explain the listed speed of 3350 in some cases, but again I can find no information on this particular load ANYWHERE.
    Based upon my experience I tend to believe the 3350 fps number as it typically lands higher on the target than slightly slower rounds I have chrono'd using another shooters equipment.
    Anyway, despite the huge jump to lands in my rifle, it shoots REALLY well all the way out to 300 yds.

Among others, Vista Outdoor owns Savage, CCI, Bushnell, Alliant Powder, Speer, Weaver.

Basic Member
    Received 1000 rounds today. One week shipping from PSA is much faster than expected.

I got a chance to fire some of the ones purchased locally in my 1:7 LRPV at 100 yards. Two three shot groups right at 0.5". What's not to like?

On a side note, the LRPV absolutely hated 53 VMAX reloads.
    Last edited by bvil; 07-06-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Basic Member
    One week from Palmetto? Wow, you must have dirt on somebody. Gotta be a record. (Ammo usually ships quicker than uppers, but still I've never had any delivered that quick.)

Basic Member
    I contacted Federal and was sent a product specification sheet as well as ballistics data;

AE223GTV made in Lake City plant, brass is copper alloy no. 260, 50 gr Polymer tipped boat tail. Primer no. 41, velocity 3350 fps. Average pressure 55,000 psi. Maximum extreme spread, 5 round groups, 3.0 inches at 200 yds.

B.C is .242
    wt= 50 gr
    drop at 100 zero, 200 = -2.6, 300= -10.5, 400= -25.6 and 500= -51.0

Basic Member
    I shot a bunch of the AE223GTV today at 250, 500 and 750 yds. Winds were blowing directly across averaging 12 to 15 but I could land 7 of 10 on the 16 " diameter metal at 500. 750 yds was a whole different story…maybe 2 of 10 were dingers. Still, not bad for a 50g varmint bullet. Bullet drop adjustment was pretty much as calculated using my Vortex Crossfire 6-18 X 42 scope.