Thread: 243. What bullet weight, Powder and Primer?

JSpoo

243. What bullet weight, Powder and Primer?

I just bought a new 243 and have never shot or reloaded for one. I want to shoot targets at some distance. What bullet weight, Powder and primer combo works the best?
    Any advice would be helpful.

Team Savage

Re: 243. What bullet weight, Powder and Primer?

Is it a factory barrel ??

Varget is the powder I would start off with.
    I like CCI benchrest primers. You will be getting large primers.

Bullets depend on the twist. Shooting far out you want a 105 berger or Senecar or heavier, but if you have less than a 1:10 twist barrel a 105 grainer will not stabilize.

You could try a 95 gr nosler or a 90 or 95 gr berger.

Be sure to go by the books when reloading and work your loads up from a minimum.

82boy

What do you consider "targets at some distance ?" What is the target, paper, a animal, or what? What gun are you shooting a Factory Savage, or something else? What is the twist rate of the barrel? All of these questions need answer before your question can be answered. Something to remember is what works in one gun may not work in another, even if they are the identical same model and caliber. Each barrel has its own personality.

I am assuming that you have a factory Savage, and it has a factory 1 in 9.25 twist varmint profile barrel. I found that shooting at paper and shooting small groups out to 300 yards a 70gr Sierra Match King on top of 33.8 grs oh H322 powder and a CCI BR2 primer worked good. At 600 and 1000 yards I found that 40gr of 4350 powder, a CCI BR2 primer and a 95 gr Berger VLD, or a 95 gr SMK worked great. Again just because I good luck with these load dont mean you will, I would work up to these loads, for both of them are on the hot side.

JSpoo

Its a stock Savage I bought for my daughter who only wants to shoot targets. Since it is capable of 1,000 yards I was looking into a heavy varmint barrel with 1-8 twist. With a new stock and custom trigger. I was not sure of what loads would work best. I don't think she will be shooting to often past 600y.

Again I would like to hear what combo works best for powder and bullets this will give me a start as to what to buy in powder and bullets and work up my loads accordingly.

Team Savage

One of the heavy bergers.

If its for target only then I would suggest a 6mmbR.
    Very very accurate round.

My rifle was nothing special and not even bedded and it would shoot 3/4 at 300 yards.

Basic Member

I thought you needed something a little slower burning than Varget for the .243 like H4350,etc?

Team Savage

Yep, you are right there. For heavier bullets you would want a slower powder.

Varget is listed for heavy bullets on the hodgdon site, but you get more FPS out of H4350 and IMR 4350.

JSpoo

I'm not trying to argue. I'm trying to understand.
    I realize that a Higher velocity does not equal a better grouping. But if I had a choice between the 6mmBR and 243. I think 243 would be better.
    Both 6mmBR and 243 shoot .243cal.
    243 providing a higher velocity therefore should provide a flatter trajectory and less drop over distance.
    From Hogdens web sight;
    6mmBR: 100grn bullet, Max velocity 2670fps
    243: 100grn bullet, Max velocity 3100fps
    With all the different choices of 100grn bullets and powders used the 243 won hands down across the board for higher velocity. No it does not mean it is a more accurate cartridge. I think with a little work to the rifle and playing with different loads can bring the rifle to shoot small groups. I'm just trying to find out which loads are the best to start out with. For those who have all ready provided some loads, thanks.
    I will continue to play with this cartridge until either it proves it can group or not, if so, I can switch barrel and go to a 6mmBR.

kslefty

Both the .243 and the 6BR would be great choices. With velocity comes wear and tear on the throat of your barrel. I prefer the .243 mainly cause any small gunshop has loaded ammo in a few different styles on hand.

Once I found Ramshot Hunter powders, I quit with Varget. Hunter gave equal accuracy, sometimes better, meters like salt and cost less. The best thing is that you can actually find it.

I use 105 grn Amaxes with Hunter in my .243 with great results. Large groups are .5", most are in the .3 s though. Savage Target Action with McGowen barrel.

I also use Hunter in my .308 and my 22-243 Middlestead. And it surpassed the magic Varget load for .308 for accuracy. I will ot use Varget again.
    More shooting, less typing.

JSpoo

Thanks guys keep it up. I'm writing all this info down. I have a month to get back home from deployment in Afghanistan and can't wait to start reloading and watching my kids shoot.
    Keep writing your loads for me. Thanks

DazzH

Hey JSpoo, I have hunted with a .243 for a number of years now, because of the 10 twist I am unable to shoot with the 105 A Max which are a great hunting projectile. The load I have used with good results is 95gr VLD, 45gr N160, 30 thou jump, 3160fps from 21 inch barrel, consistant 1/2 MOA out to 500 yards., I have shot deer out past 500 yards with this load. Another load I use is 48gr N160, 87gr V Max. As always, START WITH A LOWER LOAD AND WORK UP. :)

Basic Member

JSpoo,

Thanks for your service to our country.

Get home and play with your wife, kids and rifles. (not necessarily in the order)
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JSpoo
    Thanks guys keep it up. I'm writing all this info down. I have a month to get back home from deployment in Afghanistan and can't wait to start reloading and watching my kids shoot.
    Keep writing your loads for me. Thanks
    Lucky you, I won't get back from my deployment until Feb. Smack in the middle of winter in South Dakota.
    More shooting, less typing.

JSpoo

South Dakota, Terrible. I think the only thing thats great for South Dakota is Pdog shooting.
    I arrive at the very begining of snow fall in Alaska. I won't see brown ground till mid April. It sucks though when you go to the range bundled up like an Eskimo, at least the wait time between shots is quicker ;D

Basic Member

Enty in shooting log book:

Range conditions
    Temp: -27 degrees
    Wind: NW 50 mph
    Sun: Not for another 2 months

Better you than me brother :)
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

JSpoo

Its actually not to bad where I live. Outside of Anchorage. Its is the most beautiful state I've been too. I can Hunt and fish year around. The state is promilitary and about 99.9% of the people love guns which = Conservatives and the cold keeps the liberals away.
    Oh the liberals do move up here but only live through one winter and then leave. Their so desperate to leave after one winter that they will take a huge loss on their homes to get out and away from the cold. ;D

rcreel

6mmbr.com has 103gr bullet out of 6mmbr listed as 2920 fps. Also 95gr vld at 3000.