Thread: Custom Turret System Company

Custom Turret System Company

Hey guys,
    I came across this site recently.
    http://www.customturretsystems.com/
    They will make custom labels to stick on your turrets. I personally think it might be a good idea, in place of spending $100 a piece for custom turrets from the manufacturer. Especially if you're changing loads much or moving scopes around etc....for $20 bucks or so it seems ok.
    Just a thought, wondered if anybody has used them....pros/cons
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Well you did ask for both pro and con.
    On the pro side im sure they would work,
    so long as you sent the right data to begin with.
    Do they also make them for windage? Or does the shooter have to (learn) how to deal with wind?
    Dialing using a good chart isnt very difficult. Even better if an i phone device is used in conjunction
    with a program allowing for differences in temp, elevation, pressure etc. These things wont be doing that.
    Wind will always be the biggest obstacle to deal with. Small differences due to temp etc not nearly as much.
    The best remedy is a spotter sitting behind the shooter. Id personaly be zeroing the 22x250 for 300/400 yds before your dog trip.
    Then id be holding and not dialing by using the reticle. You will find lots of dogs will be back in their hole by the time you dial the scope.

Team Savage
    I find a CDS system and a good rangefinder give me more one shot hits than a hold over varmint reticle. Most likely what you practice with and use the most will work best.

You can develop your own custom labels using a lap top and any word document program. Start with a text box and shape to the size of the strip needed to go around your dial. Cut out that blank strip and put around the dial. Mark the strip at 50 yard increments for your load dial up. Use this strip of paper as a template to place above the subsequent trial and error strips you print out. Move the numbers on the strip around until they line up with the marks. Fill the text box with black background and use white or orange numbers for your text. Print out on card stock or photo paper, use school glue to affix to dial and cover with clear packing tape to protect from the elements. Here is what my word document for some of my custom dial strips looks like.

Last edited by jpdown; 06-28-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Basic Member
    I wont argue over what might be the most precise method. But i will argue over what method will score the most prairie dogs.
    And the Scooter unfortunatly only has one day to find that out. Id be bringing home 100 empty cases if i were him and not 50
    empty and 50 loaded ones. First off if theres much wind at all he will find he's wasting his time shooting the small bullets beyond about 500 yds at p dogs.
    And on the closer shots with a 300 yd zero there wont be much holding up or down for elevation.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.
    Jpdown, thanks for the heads up on the cds strip on pc, not sure why I didnt think of that on my own.
    Yobuck, I wasnt planning on using the cds strips for my pd hunt, I just happened to run across them the other day. If I read it right, they will make them for windage also. I had already thought I may dial my scope in for about 250 or 300 for out there and shoot with out worrying about adjustments. The 250 shoots plenty flat enough that I can just about aim on on-hair out to maybe 350ish and be good, I dont plan on coming back with any loaded rounds 😉
    My sis is and brother in law are gonna be there for several yrs, so Im hoping this trip is just trial run to precede other longer pd trips.
    Thanks again guys!
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    For hunting out to 500 yards I make my turret labels (marked in yardage) with a simple ink pen, and weather proof by covering with tape. Generally the standard atm for the altitude is adequate. At longer distances, normal changes in ambient conditions can make this approach un-workable unless you are willing to change the labels daily to chase the conditions. I have seen the dope off over a mil day-to-day! In this case I use a phone app to stay current and dial in mils; the app is also a convenient way to account for the effect of wind direction.