Thread: New Twist For An Old Favorite

New Twist For An Old Favorite

For those of you who know the word association game, when I say 30-06 the first thing that probably comes to mind is a hunting round,
    well my fellow shooters there is more to old faithful than that, hence the 30-06 with a Serengeti chamber it is to 30-06 what 308 is to Palma it was developed by German Salazar, I turned that 308 Bull I had for sale last month in to this chambering, it was a long time favorite before the 308 came along, but now with better bullets and powders, and as always that 15gr extra case capacity I should be giving those 308 guys a good run for there money.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...-of-30-06.html

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

After reading the articles, I'm seriously considering building a 30-06 bench rifle instead of the Creedmor. I've got about 500 Lake City 62 NM brass collecting dust at the moment just crying out to be put to work in a good 28" barrel.

Basic Member
    Now that was interesting! Would like to see more.

Just read the articles....very good info. I personally prefer the ole 06. I dont have anything against the 308, but the 06 will always have a special place in my safe. I have some of the pop whiz bang cartridges but if you think about it, alot of these were based from the ole 06. Its accurate, has plenty of powder capacity, easy to load for....gotta love it. Thanks for the post Dean.
    Scooter
    Last edited by scooterf79; 06-27-2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Wife hijacked my tablet lol

Thanks for the link Dean! I've always been a 06 fan, and that link is full of good info! Thanks again
    You can't please everybody, Please yourself, and someone will be happy

.308 guys a run for their money my eye. Kick their butts. :)
    Gotta love the internet and gun rag lore that is widely spread and accepted as fact.
    Misconceptions about the 30-06 even from a 22" 1-10 twist sporter profile factory savage have been a great source of amusement for me at the range for a couple of decades.
    Sitting down with some hand loads, minding my own business and embarrassing loud talking Tactifools and those that think they can buy instant accuracy at the store is great sport in itself.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Gotta love the internet and gun rag lore that is widely spread and accepted as fact.
    Misconceptions about the 30-06 even from a 22" 1-10 twist sporter profile factory savage have been a great source of amusement for me at the range for a couple of decades.
    Sitting down with some hand loads, minding my own business and embarrassing loud talking Tactifools and those that think they can buy instant accuracy at the store is great sport in itself.
    +1!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Or the guy that thinks he's cool hitting a human shape target at 200 with a scoped 300WM and you start stacking them with a .22 and open sights.

Basic Member
    This sounds vaguely familiar. Awesome choice, sir. Let's see how it shoots!

Basic Member
    The barrel legnth comments are what caught my attention most.