Thread: Savage 99/Vintage Scope Update

Rockrivr1

Savage 99/Vintage Scope Update

An update on my previous Savage 99 / Vintage Scope post from a few days ago.

This is the post and the situation I was having: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...levation-Issue

So I made some changes that I think will make a difference with my scope elevation issue on this rifle. First off, a member sent me a one piece mount and rings that came off of his old Savage 99. I took apart the scope and mounts on my Savage 99 and came to realize that this old scope is not a Weaver K4, even though my Dad told me many times over it was before he passed. I found some very light markings under the rings indicating it was a Sears Variable 2x-8x scope. More interesting this scope does not have internal adjustments. The rear scope mount has the adjustments and inside the rings there are spring supported knobs that compress as you make windage and elevation adjustments on the scope mount. Very interesting.

Another interesting find is that the forward scope ring is a two piece set up. One piece is the ring around the scope and the second piece is the part that screws onto the mount. They come together and there's a single screw that goes through the base piece that's on the mount and screws into the ring on the scope. Never seen a set up like this before. The good thing is that I can easily put a shim in between the two pieces without worrying about damaging the scope itself. So I grabbed an old can, cut a piece out and installed the shim.

I didn't have a chance yet to hit the range, but used a laser pointer to get it close to zero. Between the new base sent to me and the installed shim, I now have plenty of elevation adjustment in both directions. I think this will workout, though a range trip tomorrow will let me know. I can say that these old scopes are challenging. I have to make sure to only look straight into the scope. Any movement away from straight into it and the zero definitely changes. I'll have to pay very close attention to that.

Depending on how it functions, I might leave this set up on the rifle! I haven't hunted in a long time, but I think this season I'll head out again.

chj3
    Sounds like a Weaver V8 scope -- they had the adjustments in the rings. I don't remember any sold as Sears, but a quick Google came up with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SEAR...-/131491599294

I had the Weaver V8 some years ago. Was very functional. If I remember correctly, you have to back off the screw in the front ring to allow the scope to move, when adjusting it.