Thread: Model 10 Precision Carbine

pahoghunter

Model 10 Precision Carbine

I recently saw one of these on another site it was .223 with a 20" barrel. This must have been a short run I've never heard of them. There is a used one on GB over $700, I bet you could have gotten one new for less?

They were in production for several years. I believe production started in around 2009 and am pretty sure they were discontinued last year (2014). there were plenty to go around for those that wanted one over the last 6 years or so.
    Darn accurate rifles and I love mine.
    You would probably lose your bet unless one of the big boxes was selling em at cost or a loss, or unless you found one available for a good deal and got the rebate on it. You would probably still be pretty close to the $700 mark. I"m always looking for a "deal" and never really saw any of em cheap. (always gotta add incidentals like tax, shipping and or FFL fees.)
    Mine was right at 8 with everything said and done new.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I picked one up today new for 699. It is a pretty nifty rig.

aqua9945
    I like my PC in 308. Accurate and compact, if a bit on the loud side with its 20" barrel

Model 10 Precision Carbine

I've had good luck with mine too. Buddy worked a load up for me after I got it broken in (factories were in the 0.5-6" range) and I would call it a 0.3" rifle with his handloads. I've had a best 0.252 and quite a few under 0.3". (3-round groups). The best at a distance was around [2 9-16"] group at a lasered 529 yds.
    This with only putting a scope on it. Stock rifle.
    I was wanting a truck gun and it fit the bill perfectly. Really like it.

Mine went to the range Saturday. I'm really quite satisfied.
    It shot mediocre ammo well and shot good ammo very well.
    The 20-inch barrel is a really good size. It is the same length as the AR-15 barrels in my Service Rifles. Since it has a 9 twist, it stabilizes the heavier bullets (Hornady 75 grain match) I typically use in competition. Those bullets reliably perform out to 600 yards in conventional highpower matches. This should enable the carbine to perform at distances well past those the average shooter will encounter.
    I did note that the removable magazine needs a heftier spring. On several occasions, the follower didn't ride high enough to push the case into position so it could be stripped off by the bolt during feeding. This is fix-able and not a negative reflection on the rifle overall.
    I tested with a variety of rounds from 60 grain AMAX and Nosler Ballistic Tip (very good results) to 75 grain Hornady BTHP match bullets (very good) to 75 grain Prvi Partisan bullets over questionable powder (not bad).
    The only significant downside is that the entire rifle is much lighter than what I am used to, so I have to be extra cautious when setting up my shots so as to keep it stable. That is no fault of the rifle. I just need to get better at controlling it.
    Considering that I didn't do any prep (breaking in the barrel correctly, cleaning after a bunch of rounds, etc), I'm pretty surprised at how well it did.
    My impression is that this could be a really nice coyote slayer.