Thread: Lapua Scenar 155gr for Savage 12 F/TR

Basic Member

Lapua Scenar 155gr for Savage 12 F/TR

I've gotten some info from other shooters at the range I go to, basically stating that 155s hand loads work great, esp. at longer distances (800-1000 yds). I've been using factory black hills 168 gr and they shoot lights out at 100 yds. Wondering if it is worth the money to pony up for the Lapuas. Anyone have any experience with the 12 F/TR and the 155 factory Lapua loads?

Thanks,
    SlowTrigger.

gotcha
    I can't speak for the factory Lapua loads but I do use Lapua Scenars in 6mm & 6.5mm. Being a bit OCD I measure EVERYTHING. The scenars are more consistent dimensionally than any factory bullet I've measured including Bergers. Weights are within .5 grn. They hold vertical VERY well at long range. I just have a hard time justifying the cost of Scenars let alone factory loaded Lapua ammo So I save the Scenars for match days ONLY......... You know better than I do whether or not you can afford them.

Basic Member
    Yes, they are pricey. I've been using Black Hills 168 grain factory ammo and it seems to shoot very well, but I am curious about the Lapuas. I was thinking more in terms of a one-time thing to see how they shoot, as I can't afford them on a regular basis...

This is a very odd question to me. If you want to try them, then you don't need our permission, just buy a box and get busy. If you are asking if this will make you the second coming, probably not. Can't speak to your skill level, give the tightest grouping rifle from the Houston Warehouse tests to a random bum off the streets, and you would think the barrel is bent.
    Remember that the 155 Lapua's are VERY long, like 175gr class. So twist and velocity could be a concern if you have a slower twist.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.