Thread: Looking for recommendations for a threaded .300 BLK barrel

Basic Member

Looking for recommendations for a threaded .300 BLK barrel

I picked up an Axis .223 and want to assemble a lightweight rifle in .300 BLK.

I want a, 1-8" twist, ~18" length with the muzzle threaded 5/8"-24, as it will be used with subsonic ammunition.

Has anyone built a similar rifle, and can you recommend the barrelmaker?

Thanks,
    mbogo

Basic Member
    I haven't built any 300 blackouts to date, but I would highly recommend Jim at Apache gunworks for your barrel. Great guy to deal with, and reasonable prices. I have a 223 ackley barrel from him that shoots better than I can. Best of luck on your build!!

Basic Member
    Thanks. I had checked that web site, and it says 'orders closed'.

mbogo

Basic Member
    That's alright. He'll open again and you can get a great shooter for a great price. The only reason he closes orders down is so he doesn't get backed-up 3-9 months out. He's worth the wait, in my opinion. If you can't wait, I'd normally suggest McGowen Outlet. If they don't have what you want in stock, they can order one for you, but I doubt you'll have it any quicker than waiting for Jim to start taking orders again.

Basic Member
    I bought a 16" McGowen from a vendor on 300BLKTalk for my Axis. Not sure why you want/need an 18", but ok...especially since you are going to be running subsonic ammo. GunShack has them in stock.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. McGowen Outlet does not have any .300 BLK barrels on hand.

As for barrel length, I am not stuck on 18"; I just don't want one longer than that.

mbogo

bigjohnson
    Call Black Hole Weaponry. They will make you exactly what you want. They are a sponsor on here. If its not listed on their web site, call them. They specialize in making one off custom barrels.

Basic Member
    Just saw this thread, Gunshack has light contour barrels for the blackout in stock. I built an Axis Blackout and had problems with the cases falling off of the extractor. A new detent and extractor from Sharp Shooter Supply made it 100% reliable.

Basic Member
    Thanks, but I made the mistake of shooting the donor rifle and it shoots too well to rebarrel.

I''ll have to stick with my other two .300 Blackout rifles until I can find another donor .223 (which I PROMISE not to shoot!).