Thread: How to measure axis XP action

acj7382

How to measure axis XP action

Bought a savage axis XP. Is this a short action. I am assuming so as 308 is a short action cartridge to my knowledge. I'm wanting to convert to a 160 or 7-08. Will I have to change bolt, action, magazine or install barrel and ready to go. Biggest reason is I want to order a Boyd Stock also.

Basic Member
    All Axis rifles are long actions technically. The stock is changed for mag length and the front baffle can be flipped to change the bolt throw. They are unique in their own way.

Indeed. They get referred to as long and short action as a bit of a shorthand even though their internal bits are more or less identical. I had considered buying a .223 version to turn into a .300 Win Mag just to underscore the point, but there wasn't one available at my LGS that day.

If I recall correctly from my research on doing a safari Axis, the action length is slightly shorter than a 110 but not by a hugely significant amount.

Basic Member
    Axis Action- 4.781''
    110 Long Action- 5.062''

So yes not much difference. To answer your question if you want to go from a .308 to 7mm-08 then your magazine , bolt head, spring and follower don't need to be changed. All you need to do is install a new barrel and properly headspace. You will also need the associated tools to make that happen, go and no go gauges, barrel wrench, vise etc...
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

acj7382
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Indeed. They get referred to as long and short action as a bit of a shorthand even though their internal bits are more or less identical. I had considered buying a .223 version to turn into a .300 Win Mag just to underscore the point, but there wasn't one available at my LGS that day.

If I recall correctly from my research on doing a safari Axis, the action length is slightly shorter than a 110 but not by a hugely significant amount.
    thats all going to a gunsmith. I'll spend the $25.00 for his experience. I'm only going to do this once. I am just trying to wait on good deal on a barrel. Would really like a 260 but can't find one.
    Last edited by acj7382; 06-21-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acj7382 View Post
    I'm only going to do this once.
    How many of you guys said this back in the beginning of your Savage Sickness?!!! Not making fun of you, just the rest of us! Good luck with your build. I converted a .308 to a .260 and it is a great gun...fantastic round!

Basic Member
    I have told that lie to myself many times. Lol...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acj7382 View Post
    thats all going to a gunsmith. I'll spend the $25.00 for his experience. I'm only going to do this once. I am just trying to wait on good deal on a barrel. Would really like a 260 but can't find one.
    acj7382, Midway has a 24" ER Shaw barrel in 7-08 on special right now for $164. these are pretty good barrels, i have one in 243ai. if i had the money right now i would buy one of these!

Bruce

ps- for got to mention it also comes with headspace guages and barrel nut wrench, this makes it an even better deal!
    Holy Crap!!

acj7382
    I think I saw it as varmit contour. Will that work in place of sporterbarrel barrel.

Basic Member
    Midway has the sporter barrel. if you want the varmint barrel, Gunshack has them for $199 without the extras(wrench, guages).

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!