Thread: Zeiss or Leupold ???

Cover Dog

Zeiss or Leupold ???

Looking to get another varmint scope and would like your opinions on the following...

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 AO MC w/ Rapid Z-Varmint Reticle

Leupold 6.5-20x50 or 8.5-25x50 Long Range Target w/Varmint Hunters Reticle

Prices are pretty close so that is not a factor. Thanks in advance for your valued opinions.

Cover Dog

pa hog

Re: Zeiss or Leupold ???

The adjustment's on the Zeis are backwards from American scopes if your used to spinning clicks it will mess with you. I'd pass on both and get a SIII Sightron 6-24 or 8-32. I hunted with a bunch of guy's from LRH.com last year at "Hogfest and Compared the scopes you have in ? I was happy with my choice in the SIII and both of them guy's now have SIII's on their new MCR rifle's.

Cover Dog

Must be that the grass is always greener on the other side. I have both a SIII in 6-24x50 w/dot and also a 8-32x56 w/dot. Just thought there might be something out there better at a resonable cost.

Team Savage

I don't know if the grass is greener, but I can't resist the urge to give every brand of scope out there a try.

I just got a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20 x 40 LR with VH reticule to replace a Sightron II Big Sky 4.5-14 x 42 AO HHR. I have not been a big Leupold fan over the years because I could get comparable, or better glass in scopes costing less. When the new Leupold VX-3 came out, I took another look and was impressed with the upgraded glass/coatings versus the older VX-III. The VH reticule and side focus features are perfect for my needs in a PD rich town. I always liked the simple, sleek look of a Leupold compared to the many other brands I've tried over the years, so I keep coming back. I also like the fit and function of the Leupold Alumina accessories when compared to the plastic alternatives. I'm not knocking Sightron II, Big Sky, SIII, Bushnell Elite 4200 and other very good scopes I've tried over the years. They always got the job done and were within my budget at the time. I can't comment on a Zeiss Conquest, since I never owned one.

I considered a Vortex Viper because of all the member buzz, but ended up going with the Leupold VX-3 6.5-20 x 40mm LR. Sighted it in last weekend. No regrets and I really like the SF feature and VH reticule when compared to the Sightron AO and HHR reticule. The HHR is a cross between a target dot and ballistic plex reticule. And since I'm afflicted with scope "wander lust", I've found Leupold seems to hold their resale value better than most. Good luck!

Cover Dog,
    I have tried both scopes and for me the Leupold wins hands down. I have also tried Sightron, Burris, Bushnell, pretty much all of them over the years. The only other scope I would consider over Leupold is the U.S. Optics and I'm not sure the price difference is justified there, I haven't looked through enough U.S.O. scopes to be convinced.
    There is a lot of Leupold bashing that goes on on some of the forums but stick a used Leupold with a decent price in the classifieds on any of them and it won't last long.

At the end of the day, you get a good solid scope with an ironclad warranty that has really nice accessories available that is made in the USA. They get my money!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

snoog37

I have always found the Zeiss glass to be much better than the Leupolds. Enough to replace the Leups. But it has been a while now, maybe they have improved their game.

helotaxi

There's no comparison in glass quality. The Zeiss wins hands down every time. The Bushnell 4200 and 6500 have much better glass than every Leupold I've ever looked through.

I have the same problem some of you have, I am always looking for that perfect scope The best yet is the old monarch ucc 6.5-20 . I have a sightron II big sky 6-24 and just sold a 4500 6-24. I would like to find a scope with the ziess type z plex varmint rectical and 3" of eye relief that is in the $500-600 price range. I think that Nikon has circles on the brain and they push and push there bbc rectical it is not it for the long range varmint hunter. I wish sightron came out with a SIII with the varmint hunter in mind. if you have a hold over rectical why have target turrets ?