Thread: In need of 1899 22hp takedown forearm

Phred

In need of 1899 22hp takedown forearm

Hi all,
    Just found this site while searching for parts for a Model 1899 22 hp takedown. Looks like there is a ton of good info here. I confess I don't know a lot about Savage arms, but I would like to learn. I know my Dad always said they were great guns.

My son currently has the gun, which has been in the family for as long as I can remember. Not sure where Dad got it, but as far as I know, he never had the forearm, so it has never been able to be used. I'd like to get it all back together if possible.

Does anyone know of a source for parts, or possibly have a spare forearm they would part with? I know this is a long shot (no pun intended), but it seems like if there is anyplace to find one, it's going to be here.

Thanks. Going to go try the search function to see if there is anymore info. (I know, I should have tried that first, but past experience has taught me that you donlt always find something with a search, even if it is there.)

Boyds Gunstocks offers replacement 99 stock and forearm sets. Not sure if they offer them for the take-downs or not, but that's probably going to be your best bet at this point. There's a guy on here (Lee Davis) who's looking at maybe getting into the business, but nothing is official yet.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Lee Davis
    Hello... This is Lee Davis, the fellow that Jim mentioned. I manufacture Carving Duplicators, but I have been carving my own stocks and forearms for the 6 Savage 99's that I currently have (Jim... I haven't forgotten about your forearm, just haven't set up that particular piece yet.). I did work up a set of very detailed instructions for my customers, and would be happy to email it in the form of a PDF file. It describes how to carve both a butt stock and forearm for a Savage 99 or 1899, but is applicable to pretty much any shotgun or rifle stock. The part that has people scratching their heads is how to carve a stock that has a perfect fit, especially with the receiver bolt alignment. This set shows exactly how to do it, and has lots of photos. Like I said, it is free and I will send you a set, and to anyone that wants it, if you send me your email address. Interestingly, I too have an 1899 22HP Takedown, and have carved a new stock/forearm pair for it... maybe I can help. I am not really in the business of stock carving, but I would be happy to help. Lee

Phred
    Thanks for the leads. Lee, pm sent.
    I'll check Boyds also. I think the real problem will be that I don't have the metal parts, like the latch, etc. carving the wood will probably be the easy part, compared to finding those parts.