Thread: Keep Savage model 11 TH or go Savage Axis 2 Heavy Barrel

Keep Savage model 11 TH or go Savage Axis 2 Heavy Barrel

Newbie question. I have a NIB Savage 11 trophy hunter in 223, local outfitter has a special run of the Savage Axis 2 Heavy barrel in 223 on sale! Question is I am considering selling the model 11 rifle(i am keeping the Nikon Scope) to fund the Savage Axis 2 Heavy barrel. Both are 223, but when I bought the 11 TH I originally wanted a heavy barrel but none were avaliable! So the Axis 2 may Not be as refined as the model 11, but it has the heavy barrel I desire! Question here is I have never fired any Savage bolt rifle before, if I part with the tapered barrel 11 for the heavy barrel Axis 2, am I going to regret it?? The reciever on the Axis 2 also looks beefier than the model 11, how does this play into long term durability??

Thanks, Jim.

Basic Member
    I'd prefer the 11 action you have over an axis, but the axis rifles are good also.

How do you plan on using the rifle? 223 has very low recoil so you don't need any weight to dampen recoil, what you have will be very pleasant to shoot. It comes down to... do you plan on walking thru the woods or setting at a bench shooting at prairie dogs?

So the best answer is to have both types of rifles (a sporter and a heavy varmint).

Keene. Will be at a rest punching paper.
    Sorry I left that out..

Basic Member
    You are not going to reduce the trade in value of your rifle much, if any, by shooting a couple of boxes of ammo thru it... Having said that, I prefer a heavy barrel for punching paper.

I occasionally swap barrels, the 11 is a better candidate for that in my opinion.

If I was going to punch paper I would get a 6BR, 223, 243, or a 308 (in that order).

Keith