Thread: primers falling out over time

primers falling out over time

all of my brass in the last batch of .270 win that had been shot with the H1000 had the primers fall out of them over time. 24 pieces sat for approx 8 months? They had been from a load work up, which by the way produced bad groupings and I am no longer trying h1000 with .270win. My assumption is the pockets were stretched during firing, but there were no other signs of a hot load at least that I caught. No tough extractions the brass appeared to be in good shape. I have not changed primers. I do ream the primer pockets during prep, but just with a hand reamer. all the primers were in the box so yes I did prime them!!! I have only had two other primers fall out that I can remember.

I had mentioned this as a side note in another post but I have gotten curious since and figured this would be seen by more since it is a separate topic.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Brass & Primers DO NOT accurately report pressures, anyone tells you they do, slap them!
    VERY carefully calibrated copper crushers do not accurately report pressures above around 45,000psi; without showing around 15,000 psi swings. So, your unknown alloy in an un-calibrated case, with un-calibrated primer cups WILL NOT magically be a more accurate reporter of pressures.
    I have pressure traces from firing loads in a 308 with ZERO " pressure signs " that not only ran 70,000psi, that also had very nasty secondary ignitions.
    Assume you have the same barrel length as book loads, they shot in SAAMI min spec equipment; production firearms aren't going to be that tight. So to match pressures, you will have higher pressures.

Now all of that stated, why are you reaming primer pockets?? That week could be a part of the problem.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Reaming may be the wrong term I thought that is what the little pocket cleaner tool was called. And just to clean the fouling out of them.

This is what I use.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/244...ProductFinding

Cleaning primer pockets is what you are doing, not reaming them; Important to know the difference. Reaming enlarged, such as when removing crimped primer pockets.

This was what I was talking about, we shot this over Christmas to prove a point. Normal report in the sound department, normal recoil, amazingly smooth case extraction/ejection, AND look at the velocity for those two high strings.... "Normal". That kind of secondary pressure spikes is what blows then ends of barrels apart.

So compared to the book data, what length barrel did they test and what is yours? What velocity did the get at starting & max? Then what were yours?
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

This tool works really good for fixing the pockets and making them tight again.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911...primer-pockets

It is discontinued from midway, but you can still get it from RW Hart. works great.

Dean

PS: Sometimes I am just lazy and will just use super glue.LOL
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Okay so there is a tool for this which tells me it is not uncommon. But was this just a strange phenomenon that just happened to brass that had been loaded with h1000 and none of my other have had the issue.
    Darker I don't have a chrony yet. The data is for a 24" barrel I have a 22" barrel. I don't exceed the max and rarely go to the max, because I am just not comfortable in my going on 2 years loading ammo. I start low and work up till I find a nice node then play with seating depth. Scope Eye I like your idea! I just threw the cases away though. I got plenty of others. I am getting a chrony for Fathers day which is really cool. I think it will help a lot with interpreting the nods. Thanks for the input guys.

What was your load?

I would have to look at my load data book to be sure but the H1000 loads previously shot were a test run on 6 different charges of 4 rounds each. and other then when they were fired factory the only loading they had on them before loading them with 56gr of h4831. I needed to put some rounds together for a hunting trip so I used them since I didn't need a bunch but ended up not going on the hunt hence them sitting in the safe so long.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    What was your load?
    More importantly, what brand / mfg. was the brass?

Federal brass doesn't seem to hold up a long as Rem does. Unless its some once fired brass you got from Deano. Also, stay away from any load info from Dean unless you do have superglue for the loose primer pockets.

By the way, nail polish works good, too. And it acts like a sealer so you can make your own mil surp ammo by sealing the primer & bullet...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

It was fed brass. Originally fed fusion 150gr.

If they didn't want me to put so much powder in the cases , then why did they make the cases so big,
    and nail polish does work great my favorite is fuchsia it matches my eyes.

Metro Dean

PS: My next step is to start tack welding them, that will teach those primers to stay put.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    There's your problem.
    Fed brass works best as far as accuracy for me but, it doesn't last when the primer pockets stretch & leak. Hence, the burned circular shaped marks on most of my bolt faces.

Remington brass seems to last longest but need annealing after 3-5 firings. Starts to get hardened and splits, won't spring back, blah, blah, blah...

Lose the Federal brass for load tests. Use it for your known accurate loads. Use Win, Rem, or something else for load testing.
    You need some?
    I got .270 brass up the ying yang.

PS -By the way, the new 300WM I just put together - 2 uses of Fed brass & done. Primers are very loose. I can push them in with my thumb. Hornady works great (thanks Deano) but you need to take out a loan for it. I did just score some Win for the 300. Waiting on it to show up.
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 06-18-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    If they didn't want me to put so much powder in the cases , then why did they make the cases so big,
    and nail polish does work great my favorite is fuchsia it matches my eyes.

Metro Dean

PS: My next step is to start tack welding them, that will teach those primers to stay put.
    When it comes to nail polish, I like something in a deep red. Make me feel "devilish"...
    And here's another method to tighten up those loose primers:

Lay them on the bench with the open side down. Using a ball peen hammer, give each one a sharp tap to bulge the sides of the primer outward. This way they'll fit tighter & wont' leak.
    Providing they don't fire off from the hammer impact.
    And if you get any that do fire off, save them. Now you know which ones work.

Frank , I hope you are kidding about the ball pien hammer bit. You should not give out imfo as some may believe it.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

You mean I was being played , man I was just tooling up and give it a whack, pardon the pun.

Dean

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Frank , I hope you are kidding about the ball pien hammer bit. You should not give out imfo as some may believe it.
    Yeah, you're probably right.
    Sometimes I forget we live in times where stupid people are starting to outnumber us.

But hey, look at it this way - it may thin out the "stupid gene" pool.
    Lord knows there's enough of them out there.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    When it comes to nail polish, I like something in a deep red. Make me feel "devilish"...
    And here's another method to tighten up those loose primers:

Lay them on the bench with the open side down. Using a ball peen hammer, give each one a sharp tap to bulge the sides of the primer outward. This way they'll fit tighter & wont' leak.
    Providing they don't fire off from the hammer impact.
    And if you get any that do fire off, save them. Now you know which ones work.

Haha The wife jumped a mile when the first four went off! Not sure how you do it but I can't get them to seat without them going off!!!! Think your going to have to come show me how it's done!!! J/K Good laugh though. I have a feeling I am going to be in the same boat you are with your 300 and the 7mm RUM I am working on. That thing thumps. I have get to load anything for it still procrastinating on the pillars and bed job.

Note to self: Don't load off Deans load data and don't do anything Frank says in the house!!!!

JCalhoun
    Why are you trying H1000 in a .270WIN? H1000 is a very slow powder.

But, yes Federal brass has a reputation for being rather soft. It makes good hunting ammo but not something you will use a lot.

H1000 was the first powder i found available that had data for .270. It has been sitting on the back shelf for a while now, but it is getting ready to come back out for the 7mmRUM along with the RL22.

Basic Member
    Both Fed and Remington brass are known to have very soft heads. Neither are suitable for high pressure applications and multiple reloads.

With the shortages of the last few years give PRVI a shot for budget 270 brass. Powder Valley $46.45/100.