Thread: Savage Model 14 204 ruger feed problems

adm1977

Savage Model 14 204 ruger feed problems

New to the forum here. I picked up a factory 2nd Model 14 in 204 ruger. The gun looks brand new except for two small nicks in the stock. When I got it home it wouldn't feed from the clip. When I close the bolt it might pick up the first round, but after that it won't catch any of them. I was told to make sure the clip (dbm) is inserted the whole way, which i believe it is. I talked to Savage about it and they said the clip was bad. Seems like an easy fix. I picked up a new clip over the weekend and now when i insert the clip all loaded shells pop out. If they dont pop out the jam feeding. Anyone have any advise? I have looked for other advise on other forums and this seems like the place to go for advise on Savages. On a side note it shoots REALLY well.

Sounds like both magazines need the feed lips tweaked a little. On the original you might need to bend them out just a little to ensure the next round he being held high enough for the bolt to catch. On the replacement, you'll need to bend them in just a little to keep the rounds from springing out all at once.

The original mag that came with the rifle should have been tuned at the factory, but sometimes one sneaks through that isn't spot on. The replacement ones you purchase will all likely need tuned a little as they've never been mated to a gun before and are as-delivered off the production line.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

adm1977
    I tried bending the rear of the factory mag out a little. It almost seem like the mag doesn't go up into the well far enough. I think i am bending it correctly, if it doesn't catch the base you need to bend the rear of the mag so the cartridge sits a little higher in the mag. On the replacement, when I push it up in the gun they pop out. I am not sure which way to tweak this one. If i hold the cartridges in and seat the mag when i close the bolt they keep popping out till the mag is empty. Any more advise advise would be greatly appreciated.

I bought to extra mags for my Model 14 and have had minor issues with one but I find that if I cycle the action in a more deliberate manner and ensure I pull the bolt all the way back, it feeds okay. These mags do have to be installed precisely, too. Make sure you don't go too far with bending the metal - slow and a little at a time then check cycling. My main objection was the price of these things. $48 per - that's ridiculous.

bobbyj

adm1977
    I adjusted the mags by bending them out a little and now it picks up the shell, but now some of them jam into the end of the barrel. Sound from the more i read this is a fairly common problem, especially with smaller cartridges. Any suggestions to fix this or is it something a gunsmith need to look at.