Thread: Ever see a bad Krieger barrel?

Don - LongRangeSupply

Ever see a bad Krieger barrel?

I am sure they are out there but my friend and I have been lucky so far.

Nine different Krieger barrels

Three of them were their premium cut rifled barrels

#1 - 22-250 AI on a trued action - First 3 rounds out of the barrel to check bore sighting went through the same hole at 25 yards. Looked like one shot but was slightly oval. Worst group ever shot was sub 1/2 MOA. Have shot dozens of sub 1/4 MOA groups and quite a few in the teens and these are all varmint bullets, no match bullets tried. Still shoots sub 1/2 MOA after over 200 rounds fired without cleaning!

#2 - 6mm AI - Again, first few rounds out of the barrel to check bore sighting went through the same hole at 25 yards. Couldn't even tell it was out of round. I am guessing it was sub 0.010" - Testing at 100 yards, every bullet we tried including the cheaper Vmax was sub 1/4 MOA. Several 5 shot groups in the teens.

#3 - 6.5 Creedmoor - This was on an AR-10 type semi auto rifle. 5 shots into one ragged hole at 50 yards when test firing after the build. Way sub 1/4 MOA out of a brand new barrel with no break in done yet. It was built for a customer so we did not do any load development for it but he was very happy with it.

Barrels #4 through #9 were their Criterion button rifled barrels. -- Every one of them was sub 3/4 MOA on an AR-10 type platform, in 308 Win. with several sub 1/2 MOA groups. They fouled like a premium grade barrel, very little fouling, super easy clean up. They aren't shooting in the teens like the cut rifling barrels, but for the price (under $350 drop in), pretty nice.

About to order a 338/300 Ultramag from Krieger - Hoping #10 won't break tradition in the accuracy dept.

Ernest

Re: Ever see a bad Krieger barrel?

Can't say I have. I'm on #3 and so far, so good.

Bad as in not shootin good, or as in defective.

I believe Savageboy got one a while back he had to send back due to a problem, but IIRC they took good care of the situation.

I have never heard of one that didnt shoot good and clean exceptional though. Same goes for PacNors, Lothar Walthers, and Broughtons also.

Like you said though, Im sure they are out there. Everyone turns out a lemon once in a while, but good quality control keeps it to a minimum.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Good to hear it! I'm getting my Remington 700 SPS (aka "Giraffe Throat") .308 Winchester rebarreled with a Krieger in 260 Remington. It's a pity, the barrel was a real shooter but to get decent accuracy I had to seat out so far the rounds wouldn't fit the magazine.

Basic Member

They didn't feel it would have been bad had I shot it- ie you can't judge a barrel by the pits inthe rifling- but they replaced it none the less including all my shipping, etc. I'm happy!