Thread: Axis AICS Magazine Conversion

Basic Member

Axis AICS Magazine Conversion

Has anyone here had one of CDI's magazine conversions in their hands? It looks like an answered prayer, as their DBM works flawlessly in my HogHunter. It looks like it doesn't use a combined trigger guard (like all the others) but utilizes a stand alone guard. I'm excited to see the industry adopting the Axis more.

Basic Member

Pretty stoked about this. Didn't see a price for inletting, do you know what they charge to inlet an existing stock?

Basic Member
    UpSlide,
    after no responses here, I emailed CDI. No wonder no one has had any hands on look, as they are not available yet... Ugh. From other DBM's they offer the inletting is free, but perhaps the Axis will be different? I'm ready to send mine in! Just awaiting the go ahead... This could be the final fix to the final weak link in an otherwise strong platform.
    Last edited by BlueDog; 06-16-2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Hah, gotcha. Did they give you a date? Free inletting sounds good to me. Haha
    Yeah, it's definitely a solid platform. I haven't had any issues with mine, and it hurts a LOT of feelings when match day rolls around.

Basic Member
    No date, Jeff from CDI just said they are making them now and will get pricing together and get back to me "soon"! So now I'm as bad as a 15 year old girl waiting by the phone...

Hah, I'm sure. Keep me posted, sir.

Basic Member
    Got a call from CDI about 30 minutes ago, and they are ready to move forward. I was told to go ahead and send in my Boyds ProVarmint. They still have to have to get run done so the bottom metal can be anodized, and that will take 2-3 weeks, so looks like about a 30 day wait. Also, the inletting is free just like it is with all of the other stocks.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    Dang Rosco, I haven't heard from CDI, I feel left out. Glad to hear they are getting these finished up. I'm just about done getting mine put together, I hate to send out my stock for 2-3 weeks. Although, I am really anxious to get a solid magazine setup on this rifle.

I like the look of this. If they work well this is something I may have to do. I feel a 10 rd dbm is perfect. Spoiled by my old Lee-Enfield.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Basic Member
    I am sure they will contact to here soon, don't worry!! As for the 2-3 weeks I don't think this will be the normal turn around time in the future just for this first round. And yeah no one likes sending the stock for that period of time, but I just happened to have one that was laying around doing nothing and this gave me an excuse to start putting another Axis based build together.

He said they may start offering packages including a Boyd's Stock, CDI Bottom metal and an AICS Mag which if it was discounted correctly might be a hit.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    Rosco, did they mention a price for this DBM? It's so different than their other offerings AND is made for a budget gun, I am hoping the price reflects that. I can't wait to get this.

Impressive. Will they inlet stocks that have pillars already installed?

Basic Member
    DrThunder, I'd email Jeff and Pam at CDI, they've always been nice and answered my questions. I think the website says they prefer a phone call, but I've always emailed and gotten a response usually in the evening of the next day. (They are busy making stuff!) I would assume they inlet with a CNC machine and it really doesn't care what it's hogging out (unless you've got super duper hardened pillars!)

Speaking of pillars, I am ready to pillar my stock, but will wait, as with my CDI bottom metal for my HogHunter it came with a great set of diagrams/specifications that I made my pillars from. It went together flawlessly. I hope they have the same sheet for the Axis. It will save me lots of time and headaches!

Basic Member
    He did talk a little about price, but didn't give me a solid number. I can't imagine that it would be anymore than what everyone pays now. During our conversation he did speak a lot about trying to make this attractive to the "Axis Owner" and they were very aware this is a budget rifle. So people aren't going to want to drop $300.00 on bottom metal and a mag when they can buy a brand new rifle for that.

I don't mind being an early adopter and hopefully it won't break the wallet, but I doubt it will.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    CDI did contact me (email) and asked if my stock was a Boyd's, as this was their planned platform. I confirmed I have a Boyd's stock. So now I just wait for the green light.

Basic Member
    The stock is on its way to CDI and will update here as soon as I hear anything.

Fantastic! I'm interested to see how you like it.

Basic Member
    This isn't much but I spoke to her this morning and although they don't have a solid price yet I was told that there was less metal involved with the Axis bottom metal then with the standard Savage. Therefore they were looking at making it less expensive and obviously since its a budget rifle is well.

Standard price with free inletting is $209.00 so I'm hoping maybe it comes in around $169 or $179.

Basic Member
    Spoke with CDI the bottom metal will cost $149.00 with free inletting plus $18.00 return shipping which of course will vary. Also, they have 2 choices of 10 round Magazines if you are using a .308 based cartridge which are the AICS(Steel) and MDTAC(Polymer) ,but only a 5 round mag with the 22-250. Apparently, they had some feeding issues and the 10 rounders' did not function very well.

Delivery will be somewhere around the end of the second week of July. Will post some pics/review as soon as I get hold of it.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    Rosco, you stole my thunder! I got my email from Jeff at CDI and I was super happy with the $149 price tag. Now my only hope is I get mine back before you do so I can post pics first!!! Lol.