Thread: Which type of dies should I get?

Which type of dies should I get?

Hey guys,
    Ive got a couple new projects in the works but they wont be up and running for a while, but Im looking into components and the like.
    Ive got a 6br and a 22br that will be primarily varmint and paper rifles. I know there several types of dies, neck sizers, reddings s type bushing dies, Lee's collet die etc. Im just curious as to which ones I should look into getting. I know neck tension can make a pretty big difference, Ive not really ever messed with these types of dies so any input would be appreciated. I dont shoot competition but I like trying to load the most accurate ammo I can.
    The 6br is a no-turn neck and the 22br has 252 neck (Ill need to measure to be certain whether or not Ill need to turn the necks).
    Opinions, pros, and cons accepted.....
    Thanks in advance!
    Scooter

BowNut
    I recently bought a Forster FL die for my 223 varmint setup. I wanted best accuracy without getting into the neck bushing/ turning realm and be able to switch brass and maintain tolerances. My chamber is cut tight. With this die set up per directions, it gives me .0015-.002 shoulder setback, very consistant, and .003 neck tension. but to me, the best part of this die is the way the expander ball is set close to the neck. Just as they claim, you hardly notice the resistance on the downstroke compared to regular expander type dies. And, my runout is less than .001. I'm using a Redding T7 and a RC4 press.
    I also have the forster ultramicrometer seating die which is very repeatable. I can seat 75gr, switch to 52gr or anything inbetween, dial in the setting from my notes and its dead on. The only thing I don't like is the seating stem is cut so it touches too far out on the heavier bullets which makes variances on ogive more critical. Sorting definitely required.
    For me, I've been using RCBS and Hornady, all future dies will be Forster for my accuracy. 6BR build is in the works.

gotcha
    Same experience as Bow nut with Forster dies. Love'em! Contact Forster and they'll provide you with graduated diameter expander balls to regulate your neck tension.

Basic Member
    I have started going with all Whidden dies and love them.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by BowNut View Post
    I recently bought a Forster FL die for my 223 varmint setup. I wanted best accuracy without getting into the neck bushing/ turning realm and be able to switch brass and maintain tolerances. My chamber is cut tight. With this die set up per directions, it gives me .0015-.002 shoulder setback, very consistant, and .003 neck tension. but to me, the best part of this die is the way the expander ball is set close to the neck. Just as they claim, you hardly notice the resistance on the downstroke compared to regular expander type dies. And, my runout is less than .001. I'm using a Redding T7 and a RC4 press.
    I also have the forster ultramicrometer seating die which is very repeatable. I can seat 75gr, switch to 52gr or anything inbetween, dial in the setting from my notes and its dead on. The only thing I don't like is the seating stem is cut so it touches too far out on the heavier bullets which makes variances on ogive more critical. Sorting definitely required.
    For me, I've been using RCBS and Hornady, all future dies will be Forster for my accuracy. 6BR build is in the works.
    i agree 100%...i just got the forster FL die for my 260...i had the neck reamed out to .286 and had .260 .261 and .262 expander balls made....best die ive ever owned.

Thanks for the replies guys, its much appreciated. These forster dies may be on my list....Im gonna check out the Whidden dies too.
    So...do you buy them and then call forster and send them your dies to have them worked or what?
    Thanks!
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

LongRange
    I bought my die,dies as a set because i couldnt find the 260FL die anywhere....the FL dies from forster are 52 bucks but if you buy it from somewhere else then ship it to forster it cost about the same as just ordering it from forster and have them do the work.
    To hone the neck in my die,3 expander balls and return shipping was $42 bucks.

I'm pleased with my Redding Bushing comp (three) die set.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    I'm pleased with my Redding Bushing comp (three) die set.
    What cal?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I have started going with all Whidden dies and love them.
    I can understand that.

Just glanced at forsters site and saw where they offer the custom services and such.
    Long range, so did you wait for your barrel to arrive and use a fired case to measure to decide the size you wanted the die honed and expanders you wanted?
    I like the looks of the ultra micrometer seater too....
    Seems the general consensus is theyre really good dies.
    Thanks guys!
    Scooter

+1 on the micrometer seating dies, either Forster or Redding. Also like the Redding Type S full length bushing dies, and the Lee Collet dies.
    I have two new sets of Whidden dies (6BR and 6BRX) but haven't used them enough to really comment yet. They seem to be well built though.

Basic Member
    Forsters are my second favorite. I have a bunch of there other stuff and like it.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Just glanced at forsters site and saw where they offer the custom services and such.
    Long range, so did you wait for your barrel to arrive and use a fired case to measure to decide the size you wanted the die honed and expanders you wanted?
    I like the looks of the ultra micrometer seater too....
    Seems the general consensus is theyre really good dies.
    Thanks guys!
    Scooter
    no...i measure a loaded neck(in my case 260rem lapua brass)...which is .292 after i turn...i like .004 neck tension so that would equal .288...i add .002 for spring back which now equals .286 so thats what i had the neck of the die honed to...i use the .262 expander ball which leaves my neck at .288.

as far as seating dies go the forster and redding micro tops are nice but if you want your ammo as straight as it can be buy a wilson hand die and an arbor press.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    What cal?
    6mm BR and .308

Longrange,
    Thanks for the info. ....I think Ive got it...lol...
    Scooter

Between Forster, Whidden, and Redding, you really can't make a wrong call.
    I have all three.