Thread: CCI A17 ammo

Basic Member

CCI A17 ammo

anyone try the CCI A17 .17HMR ammo optimized for the new Savage A17 rifle in a Savage model 93R17? curious to see if it shoots better than the standard CCI rounds

Eric A
    I bought some A17 ammo on line to try out in my Savage LH 93 HMR and CZ American in 17HMR....both rifles shoot Hornady 17gr VMax ammo into little tiny groups..but the A17 ammo is faster so that has sparked my interest ..Eric Mayer from Varminter.com has a video on YouTube ..shooting A17 ammo in a CZ 452 and has his reviews about this new ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    anyone try the CCI A17 .17HMR ammo optimized for the new Savage A17 rifle in a Savage model 93R17? curious to see if it shoots better than the standard CCI rounds

I'd be interested in anyone's experiences in a 93R17 too as thinking of getting some to try in mine. Looks good in the youtube video.

I've ran it through both my 93R17 and my CZ 452 American and it shot just as well as the Hornady 17gr in both guns. We're talking rimfires though, and as everybody knows every barrel is going to have it's own preference so the only way you'll know if YOUR gun likes it is if you buy some and run it through it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    So my wife and I tried some various CCI branded ammo this weekend with her Savage 93R17 BTVLSS and my 93R17 TR. up to this point we had used nothing but Hornady Vmax (mostly 17gr and one box of 20gr). both guns are still in break in with under 500 rounds in both through them.

in the mix were CCI 17gr TNT HP, CCI 17gr Vmax, and the CCI A17 version 17gr Vmax. the jury is still out but so far it looks like the CCI products in general, and the TNT HP ammo specifically, are coming out on top. we will continue the testing.

these guns are a blast to shoot. my wife is hooked on being a "sub moa girl" she likes those tiny 5 shot groups.

Best brand of ammunition in my Savage 93R is the CCI TNT 17gr HP followed by the CCI 17gr V-Max which shoots to the same pont of impact as the TNT ammunition. Worst shooting ammunition has been the Hornady V-Max grouping those into 2" The TNT ammunition is a consistent 1" performer in my rifle. The CCI V-Max has been grouping around 1.25"at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Best brand of ammunition in my Savage 93R is the CCI TNT 17gr HP followed by the CCI 17gr V-Max which shoots to the same pont of impact as the TNT ammunition. Worst shooting ammunition has been the Hornady V-Max grouping those into 2" The TNT ammunition is a consistent 1" performer in my rifle. The CCI V-Max has been grouping around 1.25"at 100 yards.
    Mine's the exact opposite. It won't shoot the CCI TNT worth a hoot, but loves the Hornady V-Max. Just goes to show that every barrel is going to have it's own preference.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    So my wife and I tried some various CCI branded ammo this weekend with her Savage 93R17 BTVLSS and my 93R17 TR. up to this point we had used nothing but Hornady Vmax (mostly 17gr and one box of 20gr). both guns are still in break in with under 500 rounds in both through them.

in the mix were CCI 17gr TNT HP, CCI 17gr Vmax, and the CCI A17 version 17gr Vmax. the jury is still out but so far it looks like the CCI products in general, and the TNT HP ammo specifically, are coming out on top. we will continue the testing.

these guns are a blast to shoot. my wife is hooked on being a "sub moa girl" she likes those tiny 5 shot groups.

back out at the range on this hot humid SE Florida day. hmm, i am starting to regret getting my wife her 93BR17 BTVLSS. she shot the CCI 17gr Vmax, the CCI A17, and the CCI 17gr TNT HP. all at 50 yds and not much wind. the best ammo so far, by a fair margin has been the CCI TNT HP.

I say regret because, so far, she is shooting her BTVLSS better than me shooting my 93BR17 TR, ****itt!! mine is newer than hers so it still needs rounds through it but i am goin have to work to catch up to her. I told her we will separate the men from the boys when she starts to shoot at 100 yds and beyond. so far, she has stayed at 50 yds.

pics below. BTW, this the first rifle she has ever shot.
    Last edited by swadiver; 07-06-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Basic Member

Last edited by swadiver; 07-06-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Basic Member
    took both 93R17's out to 100 yards and tried all the ammo. the winner hands down, was the CCI 17gr TNT HP. best group i got was .54". got some other sub moa groups in the 3/4" range as well as did my wife. just ordered a bunch of this stuff. **** fun to shoot these guns

Same experience for me and my cz 455 fs. Except my groups are not as good, but i was shooting off hand with iron sights.
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I found it didn't shoot quite as well as anything else in my 93r17 TR. My gun needs to be dirty to shoot accurately. My guns seems to shoot the CCI TNT HP really well and also the 20 gr game points and hollow points shoot very very well. The Hornady is a very close second but they are all dependent on the lot # of ammo. They really do vary from lot to lot. That being said I try to stick to the 20 grainers or the TNT but have shoot really good and pretty bad groups with almost all the available choices.

Basic Member
    for us, all the other ammo except for the TNT scattered a fair bit. with the TNT, not all groups were sub moa, but all stayed within about 1.5 inches. so far, anyway.

Basic Member
    well, it keeps getting better for my wife and her 93R17 BTVLSS with the CCI TNT ammo. only her second time ever shooting anything at 100 yards and she pulled off these groups and 5 others a ranging fro .75" to .95". she's starting to piss me me off, making me look bad like this.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Are you referring to TNT JHP or TNT Green HP?

Basic Member
    Tnt jhp

Basic Member
    hey guys, got a question for you long term rim fire shooters. i am new to rim fire calibers in general and .17HMR in particular. my wife is getting some pretty darn good 5 shot groups with her 93R17 BTVSS off the bench at 100 yards. consistently from the .40" to .55" inch range at 100 yards with a couple in the .35" range. (certainly this has been in light wind conditions). this is all been with CCI TNT HP ammo.

my question, is this normal for this particular rifle/caliber or is this unusual? I am pleasantly surprised at this performance. she is a new shooter and she is pretty happy with this rifle.

i thought we would have to buy a custom type or much more expensive gun for this level of accuracy. this 93 is stock expect for the thicker bottom metal and the Apachee trigger mod (fantastic, by the way)

any input appreciated