Thread: 219 Donaldson Wasp Bolt Head

219 Donaldson Wasp Bolt Head

Hello.... I would like some info from other Barrel Nut enthusiasts. I want to build
    a 219 DW on a 110 action. This particular cartridge is built around a 30-30 Win case,
    .506" rim dia. Would it be possible to have a 110 bolt head machined to this rim diameter,
    and have the ejector/extractor work properly. Any recommendations would be helpful.

The easiest route would be to pick up a 340 in 30/30 and rebarrel it.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    I'd try a magnum bolt head for experimenting with. Buy one, see if the extractor will pick up your shells, if not sell it as a new unmodified bolt head. Or better yet one of the WSM bolt heads with the "controlled extraction"...or even better a whole WSM short action with ejector and everything.

I'm headed down to the shop, I'll try a couple 219 Zipper cases in my 270 WSM action for you.

Great question for all us insufferable retro-Savage tinkers!
    Jeff518

Basic Member
    yup, don't know what I was thinking there..mistaking the base diameter on the 30-30 with the 30-40...never talk about reloading after evening cocktails
    Jeff518

Basic Member
    The 110 was never engineered for rimmed cases. While the .219 was very accurate in it's day, it's hayday is over, there are much better choices now. I would suggest a .22 BR.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Yes I know reviewed all the bolt head measurements and came to that conclusion also TY

Sharpshooter My dad use to shoot that particular cartridge and well I guess I thought I'd try it but if I want to do it using a 110 action lots of mods would have to be done might run into big $$$

Basic Member
    Similar results can be had with a .225 Winchester, which has the standard .473 bolt head, but a .22-250 would be the best bet. I am sure you can set up a Donaldson in a bolt gun, but it will not feed from the magazine. If you want a single shot, it can be done by using a modified bolt head and a single shot adapter.

Looks like a 22-250 for me Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas.