Thread: New Barrel Filthy Dirty

Bassfish79

New Barrel Filthy Dirty

Hello all new to the forum, got a problem with my "new" 10-FCP-K. I bought it last week and only had time to clean it this weekend and noticed the barrel is very dirty. (I've never shot this gun) To the point you can't really see rifling in the barrel or anything. The inside looks like the surface of the moon. I was wondering how dirty your barrels were when you bought it new? I'm thinking someone either switched my barrel out, or shot the heck out of it before i got my hands on it. The rest of the gun looks spotless, its just the inside of the barrel. I spent an hour and a half trying to get it clean and I've made very little progress.

My dealer had to order it for me and i picked it up within hours of it coming in so i don't think they did it. I'm going back to them tomorrow and I'm also going to give Savage a call in the morning. I've seen factory dirty barrels where they've test fired guns before but the amount of dirty/corrosion is unacceptable.

How dirty were your straight from the factory new barrels?

Re: New Barrel Filthy Dirty

Savage test fires them. The load used is in the back of your manual. Sounds like yours may have spent some time in a warehouse somewhere.......

What are you using to clean it?

hotbrass

Send it back. It should look brand new. They clean them after test firing.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbrass
    They clean them after test firing.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Carvera
    Really?
    +1

82boy

Technically they don't test fire every gun, they only the test fire guns in the custom shop, or repair. They do proof every barrel with firing a proof load. (A Proof load is designed to pressure check the barrel, they are loaded in a way that is several times over the maximum safe pressure.) They never clean any barrel at the factory.

What are you using to clean the barrel ?

Bassfish79

I tried Hoppes 9 and Break Free tonight. It was sealed pretty tight in the plastic wrap when I pulled it out of the box. But I don't' see corrosion on any other part of the rifle. I'll let you all know what Savage says in the morning. Thanks for your replies...

Technically? Seriously? I refer to most stuff as that "thingy"!

;D

Get something a little more serious for cleaning your rifle. I like shooter's choice for carbon and Sweets for serious copper fouling. Break cleaner also works very well for carbon.

Bassfish79

Quote Originally Posted by trappst
    Technically? Seriously? I refer to most stuff as that "thingy"!

;D

Get something a little more serious for cleaning your rifle. I like shooter's choice for carbon and Sweets for serious copper fouling. Break cleaner also works very well for carbon.
    I thought about going out and getting something a little stronger. But this is supposed to be a brand new never fired gun. How dirty should it really be? Oh well I'm used to having back luck, so its really nothing new to me. ;D

Not bad luck....the rust thing kinda sucks but that's probably due to it sitting somewhere for a while.

Savage barrels are notoriously rough but they still shoot very well. Pick up some stronger cleaning stuff and give it a chance. If you don't have a couple, get some tight fitting bronze brushes to help remove that fouling.

Welcome btw!

Uncle Jack

Shoot it!

Clean it!

Then tell us how it looks.....and post some groups.

uj

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfish79
    I tried Hoppes 9 and Break Free tonight.
    Just as I suspected, thats the problem, you would make just as good of headway using water. Are you using a bronze brush? Without one you will never get it clean. All new Savage barrels are dirty it comes from the proof load.

Team Savage

Some of the factory barrels I've ordered come pretty dirty, I beleive it is some kind of oil-based coating/rust inhibitor. Brake cleaner will take it out. If it's rust and has pitted the barrel, I would send it back.

hotbrass

Quote Originally Posted by Carvera
    Really?
    OK, I went out on a limb saying that since I dont know if they test fire their guns. Maybe they dont test fire their guns. Every gun maker that I know who does test fire their guns, cleans the guns after test firing.

Savage probably doesnt test fire or clean them. I dont know.

I would still send it back.

Basic Member

it took a half hour and some sweets to clean my new .243 stevens 200. the copper that came out, un believable. i e-mailed savage they told my my gun was test fired allmost 50 rounds. they didnt clean mine MARK25-06

hotbrass

Why would they test fire a gun 50 rounds???

I would send it back!

50 rounds isnt test fire, it is used.

Basic Member

it shoots .500 all day 87gr. hornady v-max and 95gr. smk and you dont even have to adjust the scopeMARK25-06

Just get some Wipeout, shooting down the bore and let it set for about 5hrs. Wipe that out followed by some of your Hoppes and it'll be shiny clean. To heck with all that scrubbing. ::)
    Kelly

Bassfish79

Talked to Savage today. They said only 4 rounds were used to test fire it. It was sent out from the factory in June of 2009, so its been sitting for a little bit. Also told me that they put some kind of heat treatment on the barrel and that's what i was probably seeing. He even told me that their barrels come out looking like that. Told me to just take it out the range and follow their barrel break in procedures. He was very polite and told me if I was unhappy after shooting it or if it had accuracy problems to send it back and he'll take care of it. Won't be able to get out to the range until Wed or Thurs. I also took the advice of Trappst and got some Shooters Choice to clean it with. I'll update more after I shoot it. Thanks....