Thread: Decock the bolt by hand?

kayaker

Decock the bolt by hand?

Hi all,
    I am going to be storing my model 11 for a few months and will have an action lock through it. As such I can't close the bolt and decock it into battery.
    I would like to store it decocked so that the firing pin spring is not under tension for months.

How to do this?

I assume I can back out the rear bolt assembly screw that begins the bolt dissasembly and once some spring tension is relieved (without fully removing it) I can lift and turn the cocking piece and let it drop into the fired postion?

Thanks

PS This rifle that I had accuracy iuuse with some months ago got a new scope (the Bushnell Legend failed), bedding and SSS trigger and now shoots well. Dropped an Alberta black bear with it 2 weeks ago.

Uncle Jack

Re: Decock the bolt by hand?

You're overthinking the non problem. The chances of damaging the firing pin spring by leaving it cocked, are slim and none.

uj

Team Savage

if you are worred then decock the bolt &store seperate

kayaker

Quote Originally Posted by drybean
    if you are worred then decock the bolt &store seperate
    Thats my plan, but how to decock, as with the current spring tension I cannot move the cocking piece.

Back off the BAS then decock. It's also the easiest way to re-cock.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Team Savage

just push the button on bottom of the to fire
    then to recock set button on a hard corner &push down

Team Savage

but the easy way is to cock it &pull the trigger
    an leave the bolt in place

kayaker

Quote Originally Posted by drybean
    but the easy way is to cock it &pull the trigger
    an leave the bolt in place
    Ah, so true, but not with an cable lock through the action!

snipecatcher

Millions all across the globe leave their rifles cocked all the time with nary a problem. Think of the old military rifles sitting in warehouses for 100 years that still function 100% when cleaned up a bit. Another alternative is to just get a trigger lock, that way you could leave the bolt in. They are cheap and effective.
    -Dan

He wants the cable lock thru the action so it cant be used in advertantly. Ya know, Safety Precautions . So he cant pull the trigger to de-cock the bolt and achieve what he wants to.

I would just leave the bolt cocked while in storage cause it aint gonna hurt it, but if you really wanna de-cock it then you will have to back off the BAS as Geargrinder mentioned.

Just curious, how long do you plan on storing it without shooting it that you want the bolt de-cocked? I do agree with UJ though,that I really doubt it will damage anything by leaving it cocked.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

kayaker

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    He wants the cable lock thru the action so it cant be used in advertantly. Ya know, Safety Precautions . So he cant pull the trigger to de-cock the bolt and achieve what he wants to.

I would just leave the bolt cocked while in storage cause it aint gonna hurt it, but if you really wanna de-cock it then you will have to back off the BAS as Geargrinder mentioned.

Just curious, how long do you plan on storing it without shooting it that you want the bolt de-cocked? I do agree with UJ though,that I really doubt it will damage anything by leaving it cocked.
    Thanks pdog and meatgrinder, realistically it will be 8 months without shooting it. I will be in another country, hence all the safety precautions.

dcloco

Personally, I would pull the bolts, decock them manually, and store in a seperate, locked container. AND use a bore or trigger lock on the rifle(s).

Store rifles and bolts in seperate places.

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker
    Thanks pdog and meatgrinder, realistically it will be 8 months without shooting it. I will be in another country, hence all the safety precautions.
    meatgrinder? :D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

kayaker

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaker
    meatgrinder? :D
    LOL ;D sorry, wrote that in a rush...!

Basic Member

De-cocking is a waste of time. Even though the firing pin is in the "fired" position, there is still 20 lbs of compression on the spring. Leaving it cocked will hurt nothing.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

kayaker

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    De-cocking is a waste of time. Even though the firing pin is in the "fired" position, there is still 20 lbs of compression on the spring. Leaving it cocked will hurt nothing.
    That seems to be a common consensus. I would have thought it would strain the spring if left like that for months, but it seems not..Thanks!

cheers

PBinWA

Don't forget to swap the firing pins out so the gun is inoperable in the event you are framed by the government.

(Sorry I couldn't resist. - refer to the movie/book "Shooter" for the punchline) ::)

Quote Originally Posted by PBinWA
    Don't forget to swap the firing pins out so the gun is inoperable in the event you are framed by the government.

(Sorry I couldn't resist. - refer to the movie/book "Shooter" for the punchline) ::)

I was thinking the same thing! :D
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM