Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here We Go 1Shot/.338 Federal Hunting Load (Hunting Results)

Basic Member

Re: Here We Go 1Shot/.338 Federal Hunting Load (Hunting Results)

Bagged an 8-point whitetail Saturday afternoon here in Oklahoma. I got to my 12 ft tri-pod stand about 3 p.m. It was sunny, 60 degrees with a 10-20 mph wind. I was just inside some trees overlooking several wide open fields of waist high grass. About 4:25 p.m. a whitetail buck just stood up nearly right in front of me, slightly to my left! He was about 80 yards away and wasn't in any rush to go anywhere. He'd been bedding there the whole time! He walked towards my right and looked away. While he was doing that I got my rifle in place, took off the safety, put the crosshairs on his heart and pulled the trigger. He stumbled when the bullet hit and went maybe twenty yards (heading for the trees) and then his back legs collapsed. He slid down towards a dry stream bed until he came to a stop between two small trees. The bullet took out both lungs and blew off the top of his heart. Total time about five seconds from the bullet impact until he came to a stop. I'm guessing he weighed about 150 lbs. The Hornady 200 gr Interlock performed perfectly!

Last edited by pbcaster45; 11-02-2012 at 04:05 PM.

1Shot

..Now you can get that pie..lol...Look's like you hit it alittle low but still got the job done... ...Those 200gr CT's make alot bigger hole..lol..about grapefruit size... ;D...Well, steaks on the table... :D

Basic Member

That was some of the best apple pie I've ever had, and the mincemeat pie she baked was good too! I went hunting this weekend but all I saw were bucks and my buck tag is already filled (I can still take one with a bow). I had what I thought was a nice doe in my crosshairs but it turned out to be a young 4-point - I just watched him through my binoculars after that. I really had a good time, don't have to kill anything to feel the hunt was worth it. I think that eight point I took last week will go a long way toward removing the tarnish from my nickname "One Shot Johnny". Earlier this year I missed a lone hog out of a herd of 20 - 30 pigs and the guys at work still love to bring it up. It was an easy 130 yard shot but I got a little flustered by that many hogs and rushed the shot. The slug went low and thankfully the hog got away unharmed. Learned a lot from that one - like keeping my mistakes to myself!

1Shot

Quote Originally Posted by pbcaster45
    I really had a good time, don't have to kill anything to feel the hunt was worth it. I think that eight point I took last week will go a long way toward removing the tarnish from my nickname "One Shot Johnny". Earlier this year I missed a lone hog out of a herd of 20 - 30 pigs and the guys at work still love to bring it up. It was an easy 130 yard shot but I got a little flustered by that many hogs and rushed the shot. The slug went low and thankfully the hog got away unharmed. Learned a lot from that one - like keeping my mistakes to myself!
    ...lol...Ya talking smack sometimes will bite you..lol...I like to go hunting just to see what kind of critter I'll come across..I was sitting next to a tree & a box turtle came crawling right into arms lenght before he decided to turn up the hill...I've had a squirrel come up on the same tree I was leaning against & I could've swatted him with my hat..lol...Just like being out in nature to calm the nerves & clear the mind...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12