Thread: Bought a used BVSS and have a few questions...

Pastprime

Bought a used BVSS and have a few questions...

Bought a very nice looking BVSS with a .223 Shilen like new (35 rounds) barrel and have a couple questions:

According to the serial number, G278391, it was shipped as a .308. Do I need to get a .223 magazine box or a spacer to use the magazine? It is a stagger feed. It came with a High Score follower, but I might not use it all of the time.

Looking at some of the posts here, I figure G278391 is a fairly late manufacture. Would 2007 - 2009 be about right?

Did these come from the factory with bedding pillars?

It has a Shilen drop-in Varmint taper barrel in 1/8 twist which I believe will handle fairly heavy bullets. Our range only goes to 200 so I doubt I'll shoot anything heavier than mid-60 grainers. The last Savage I had was a .22-250 and I'm kind of looking forward to shooting this one a lot without worrying about wearing out the barrel or my wallet.....

Hank

No they didn't come with pillars. I wouldn't change the box/ mag. Putting in the 223 version shortens the usable cartridge length, which is backwards from what you want with heavy bullets. A word of caution about that twist. Using light weight and lightly jacket varmint bullets will destroy them. Something like a Varmint Nightmare or TNT has an RPM limit around 240,000RPM, and most heavily jacket stuff like a Vmax or Blitzking are 290-320,000.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    No they didn't come with pillars. I wouldn't change the box/ mag. Putting in the 223 version shortens the usable cartridge length, which is backwards from what you want with heavy bullets. A word of caution about that twist. Using light weight and lightly jacket varmint bullets will destroy them. Something like a Varmint Nightmare or TNT has an RPM limit around 240,000RPM, and most heavily jacket stuff like a Vmax or Blitzking are 290-320,000.
    Thanks. I'll keep the bullet construction in mind when buying them. Probably change to a .222 sometime since that what I really wanted. 90% of my shooting will be at 100 yards and don't need the heavier bullets for that. Too good of a deal on the rifle to pass just because of the caliber though.

For the distance you intend to shoot, bullets from 55 to 69 grains should serve you well.

BowNut
    The 12BVSS I bought in 2013 had laminated stock, black forend tip, and pillars, from Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by BowNut View Post
    The 12BVSS I bought in 2013 had laminated stock, black forend tip, and pillars, from Savage.
    Well there is Savage for you, mine didn't.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I've also seen the BVSS stocks with factory pillars.

Basic Member
    mines pillared as well

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    mines pillared as well
    The used rifle I just got has pillars, but it's hard to tell whether they were factory installed or not. Rifle was made before 2009 according to the serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by Maztech89 View Post
    I've also seen the BVSS stocks with factory pillars.
    Ditto. My 308 had pillars. I built my son a 223 Varmint rifle using a BVSS stock three years ago. His stock has pillars. I built myself a 223 tactical rifle in April using a 24" factory barrel I bought from a forum member and used a BVSS stock I won on EBay for the princely sum of $137.00. It was hydro dipped with a camo pattern similar to the Marine Corp M-40 sniper rifle. It too has pillars.