Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MkII FVSR ammo test (lots of ammo involved)

Basic Member

Another extremely informative article. Probably the most in depth yet on rimfire cleaning.

http://www.rrdvegas.com/rimfire-cleaning.html

Bang
    No need to be concerned that I may think you are arguing. It's discussion and a learning curve (a lifetime adventure) to me. Please be assured of that.
    I was passing on information I have read re filling in bad spots improving accuracy. High-end barrels have little or no need of such (actually a bit of a presumption on my part).
    I'm still shooting 6 different ammos (well, 4..ran out of two). Odd inconsistencies are the puzzle. Such as I have had groups with brick Rem Golden Bullet that equal expensive Rem-Eley lub Xtra. But then the RGB group may open up a bit next time. I am also impressed with CCI Standard Velocity, having made notation that it's the best deal for the dollar so far. The real challenge is my doing everything right every time...which makes me wish I had a machine rest to ascertain just what is the best ammo. But then the lots can change, one ammo may be great at 88 degrees ambient and 55 degrees may mean find a different one. Boing boing boing.....it's a conspiracy so we'll keep buying and trying, like fishing lures catch fishermen.

Bang
    Here is a great treatise on small bore group analysis:

http://rifleman.org.uk/Fuller_group_diagnosis.htm

Basic Member
    Lorenzo, thanks for the links. I found it interesting in the video that one of the guys states if your rifle takes more than one or two shots to come back in you're cleaning it too much.

Basic Member
    I find the CCI standard velocity really is the best bang for the buck, it was as consistent or maybe ever a little more than the brick of Norma Match. Your really right about the temp and doing everything the same on the gun each shot. That really is the biggest thing. If I start shooting without really keeping that in mind I shoot like crap lol.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Here is a great treatise on small bore group analysis:

http://rifleman.org.uk/Fuller_group_diagnosis.htm
    sweet article thanks.

Bang
    Well, I've sent over 500 rounds through this pipe across 50 yards divided by 18 power and have been gnashing my teeth at the size and randomness of the groups. A one-inch spread is normal, so is three or four very close together with the rogue that screws it up.

Yesterday at 94 degrees and no wind I shot at my usual home-made target consisting of twelve 3/4" blue sticky dots on 8-1/2 by 11 white copy paper. I tried several different ways of holding the rifle and of touching only the trigger and trigger guard (with my thumb). Front end on a padded scissors jack, heel on a V bag. I finally got a group of five in .359". A random success, indeed, but the rifle did it, so it has given me a huge lift of spirit and appreciation for the rifle.

Now here's the kicker....I was shooting the 525 brick of Federal Golden Bullets, 36 grain brass-plated hollow point generally viewed as junk! Also, the spring I had in the trigger yields a let-off of about 12 ounces. It is so light, the bolt sometimes does not cock...the sear slips to the safe notch on closing. Happens maybe once in 30 rotations. Apachee set-up is future plan.

And the beat goes on....

Basic Member
    If you haven't changed the bottom metal I'd recommend that too along with the Apachee trigger kit. I seem to shoot better groups using squares for targets, I aim at the corner.

Bang
    I made my own plate of 1/8" thick aluminum. The extra-special steel plate on the Boyd's stock was bending with only 15 in-lbs torque. I agree about the squares and bracketing one corner. I think I'll try that again. Thanks!

Bang
    Bought a box of 50 Gemtech .22LR subsonic at the Oaks gun show to try out in the Savage Mark II.

Impressive. Looked up Gemtech and found they are manufacturers of suppressors and have a line of subsonics as well.

Turns out these Gemtech .22LR are made by CCI. Interesting, as CCI standard velocity LR is the one of the cartridges my Mk II shoots best. The Gemtech bullet is 42 grains.

And the beat goes on….

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12