Thread: Mk II BSEV 22LR trigger and safety problems

FarShot

Mk II BSEV 22LR trigger and safety problems

I have a second hand Savage BSEV in 22LR that is causing me some grief. It appears to be lightly used, no mentionable wear externally or on any component.

Normal shooting.
    In operation, safety off it can function perfectly for 15 or 20 shots, then I will get a string where the accu-release is either:- 1: only able to travel part way with audible click into the accu-release catch, 2: Apparently forward of normal blade position and totally locked up, 3: goes all the way back to the main trigger which is locked up. Lifting or cycling the bolt either correcting problem or giving one of the three faults listed. I could get 20 faults in a row.

Bolt cycle with Safety ON.
    One of 7 conditions- as per 1:,2:,3: above, 4: no effect, firing as if safety was off, I've put out 25 shots in a row like this, 5: What I believe to be correct operation - part travel of accu-release and audible drop into the catch, bolt needing to be cycled for reset. 6: Accu-release goes back to trigger blade, bolt part moves forward, light pressure on bolt with thumb cause it to spring remaining way forward.

Safety on then moved to safety off.
    I'm not sure about this, It either still faults or more likely it still fires, if the accu-release has been operated "safety on" enough to cause audible click the bolt must be lifted or fully cycled to reset trigger.

Trigger mechanism internally.
    All looks good, spotless (and washed, lubricated), no wear, no soft or bent springs, no missing parts, spring tensions all look good, no wear to holes or pins. When safety is applied I can see the safety sear rotate in to sit maybe only a thou above the grub. Oddly this grub while it is proud of the trigger mechanism on the safety sear side but I don't see a hex socket or screwdriver slot in either end for adjustment. The position of the grub appears identical to photos I've seen.

Bolt.
    Stripped and clean, no filings or burrs, no wear.

Ideas gratefully received. I'm over 400K's away from nearest gunsmith. Thanks

Basic Member
    Your accutrigger is set to light. Add a 1/4 turn to the accutrigger spring until the problem is corrected.

FarShot
    Thanks Justin, I'll give that a go later today. Trigger setting at the moment is as per purchased. I don't have the little accu-trigger tool so may need to make something to suit.

FarShot
    Trigger has now been adjusted, both directions tried, with no discernible difference to the problem.

Basic Member
    If you bought the rifle used my guess is that someone botched a trigger job. I'd take it to a competent smith.