Thread: Boyd's owners....

Basic Member

Boyd's owners....

Any of yous guys with Boyd's stocks still have your originals?

Could someone please weigh both & tell me the difference, or at least the weight of the Boyd's Classic?

I'm interested in the Classic, but I'm trying to build an ultralight gun. I know it'll probably weigh more than standard, but I detest the standard stock & have to change it.
    I'm just wondering how much material I'm going to have to remove to get it down below the Tupperware weight before I order one.

Basic Member
    A lot, to answer your question. The laminates are heavy. Walnut is lighter, I believe, but it will never be as light as the Tupperware weight, let alone below.

Basic Member
    What are you putting in one? I know some here have gotten under 7# with factory wood. My 110 EL weighs 8# 12oz about a pound of that is the Kick-Ez Magnum recoil pad.

Basic Member
    It'll be housing an axis action with a feather light, 20" 6.5x55 barrel. I'm hoping that the barrel will come in well under 2lb & I'm aiming for a finished weight under 7.
    I was planning on hogging a load of material out of the butt, not making it totally hollow, but hopefully gaining 3 or 4 ounces back. I'll also be milling shots under the forearm & possible thinning the entire forearm to pick up another (hopefully) ounce.
    I would stick with the factory plastic & stiffen it, but the grip is so thin & small, it just doesn't fit my hand.

Basic Member

So the scoped, slinged pre boyds weight is approximately 7lb,7oz
    With Prairie Hunter approximately 8lb,6oz so though it feels substantially heavier realistically there is a scant pound.

But the Classic might be a couple ounces lighter.

Basic Member
    Eager to see what you come up with.

Basic Member
    I'm kinda interested myself!
    There's a load of requirements that I'm trying to meet (weight vs cost, weight vs acceptable accuracy, cost vs accuracy, velocity vs barrel length etc...) & trying to get them all to intercept is going to be tough!
    I'll be happy with under 8lb, loaded & scoped, $500 (I already have the scope, so that doesn't count & I've got the stock & barrel to sell) & 1½" at 100yds.

Basic Member
    Well, if cost is an issue (when isn't it?) Boyds is the answer. I can't believe how inexpensive they are. Some people complain b/c they will often split around the action screws. I say, "Live with it. Fix it and move on."

Basic Member
    Reminds me of Mac (banned) and his birch "plank" target stock "fugly". Bet that bugger was light!

rfd12fv
    hey rob, how'd ya make out with the rifle build and boyd stock?

Basic Member
    Well sir, I'm just waiting to get my stock back from being dipped, then I'll have it bolted together & I'll post some pics!
    So far I've got everything cerakoted & my rings lapped ready for the freshly painted scope. It's killing me, waiting to get it together!

rfd12fv
    good going, can't wait to see the pics ... and the final scaled weight!