Thread: After market parts..

Eric A

After market parts..

With the popularity of the Mark 2 and M 93 rimfire rifles...you would think that companies would start making an assortment of after market parts for these rifles...especially after market barrels and a bigger assortment of gunstocks...

Mmmmhmmmmm.

Not many people have the proper tools to remove a pressed in barrel.......
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Diversified Innovative Products has rim-fire items, no barrels or stocks. They can be re-barreled, but is a gunsmith job.

Fiddler
    Heck, I'd just be thrilled if somebody would make an aftermarket magazine for the Savage MK-II. Right now the only way you can get one is from Savage, and a lot of people complain about the quality of those. When's the last time you saw a Mark II .22lr magazine hanging in your local gun shop among all the other magazines, both factory and aftermarket? They seem to be rarer than hen's teeth around here. I had to special-order mine.

Basic Member
    MKII mags are on Ebay, and elsewhere.

Basic Member
    my experience with the 93r17 5 and 10 rnd mags is that they just need some very slight tweaking with a pilars and to just b worn in. I had problems with both my 5 and 10 rounders at first but now that they are worn in and I tweaked the few things that needed it they are rock solid. My MKII mags are having problems, can get the 5 or the 10 to click in when fully loaded. Load em to 4 and 9 rounds and they click in. Im hoping i can just tweak with them and get them broken in as they are pretty new.

Eric A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Mmmmhmmmmm.

Not many people have the proper tools to remove a pressed in barrel.......
    Yep...I realize this...but the same holds true for threaded barrel center fire rifles such as the Remington 700 and you see plenty of after market barrels for that rifle..I would think there would be there would be several gunsmiths in this country...who could make a steady living changing out Mark 2 and 93 barrels to after market match grade barrels..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric A View Post
    Yep...I realize this...but the same holds true for threaded barrel center fire rifles such as the Remington 700 and you see plenty of after market barrels for that rifle..I would think there would be there would be several gunsmiths in this country...who could make a steady living changing out Mark 2 and 93 barrels to after market match grade barrels..
    You'd be thinking wrong. For starters, none of the Remington 700 barrels on the market are screw on and go - they all require fitting by a gunsmith. The only exception would be the Remage barrels Jim Briggs sells that are designed to use a nut like a Savage, but they're an oddity and not the norm. Secondly, the demand for replacement Savage barrels is all but non-existent. Just because you want one doesn't mean there's a market for them. I've been running this site for nearly 13 years now and I can count the number of times someone's asked about aftermarket rimfire barrels for a Savage on one hand with fingers to spare. On top of that, anyone willing to spend the money do buy one will probably want something specific so it just makes sense for the gunsmith to start from a raw blank.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Eric A
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    You'd be thinking wrong. For starters, none of the Remington 700 barrels on the market are screw on and go - they all require fitting by a gunsmith. The only exception would be the Remage barrels Jim Briggs sells that are designed to use a nut like a Savage, but they're an oddity and not the norm. Secondly, the demand for replacement Savage barrels is all but non-existent. Just because you want one doesn't mean there's a market for them. I've been running this site for nearly 13 years now and I can count the number of times someone's asked about aftermarket rimfire barrels for a Savage on one hand with fingers to spare. On top of that, anyone willing to spend the money do buy one will probably want something specific so it just makes sense for the gunsmith to start from a raw blank.
    I didn't make my self clear about the after market barrels for the 700 Remington...I know that threaded barrels being fitted to this rifle need to be installed by a gunsmith due to Head spacing issues...but there is still a whole bunch of barrel makers for this rifle...Lilja makes for example barrels for Ruger and CZ bolt rimfire rifles...I would think they would make an after market barrel for the Savage rimfire as well..maybe I'm just thinking out loud..And I think your right about posts regarding after market rimfire barrels for Savage rimfires on this forum ...due to the fact this is mainly a forum of centerfire shooters...so the percentage of questions about this would be small as compared to posts on this subject over at Rimfire Central over the last decade....Anyways I've been corrected by you regarding Savage rimfires and after market barrels..thanks for the insight from your knowledge on Savage firearms..

Basic Member
    I only have one Savage rimfire and honestly as well as it shoots don't see any need to change the barrel. That may not be the case for all Savage owners though. I'd be curious to know what the cost would be to change a barrel, labor and barrel. A person may be better off buying a higher grade rifle from the start.

I don't think the Savage Mark I, II and 93's are the bargain they used to be. Back when you could pick up a new heavy barrel model for around $200 it was a pretty good deal as it was 1/2 the price or less than that of the nearest competitor. Now most of them are $300+ and getting real close to the price of a CZ 452/455 which IMO is a superior rimfire rifle.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    The CZ 455 I picked up at my LGS must not be indicative of the line because the bolt felt like it was full of gravel.

Reeseman
    Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    The CZ 455 I picked up at my LGS must not be indicative of the line because the bolt felt like it was full of gravel.
    When my 455 was brand new it felt rough . I gave it a good cleaning and lubed it and after a couple hundred rounds it was smooth as silk . I can cycle it with 2 fingers . It's seen several bricks since 2012 .