Thread: New 6brx build Starting to take shape!- Pics, barrled action, nutless, etc.

Basic Member

New 6brx build Starting to take shape!- Pics, barrled action, nutless, etc.

My current build for F class is starting to take shape. Picked up the Barreled action from the Gunsmith last nite. Wanted to try something different so I went nutless w/ the following specs:
    - New SSS Timed Trued Target action, SSS bolthandle, EVO trigger, PTG Oversized fluted bolt, SSS recoil lug (action feels incredible, no slop/ play due the oversized bolt, buttry smooth due to the T&T and the trigger feels like a Jewell.
    - Kreiger 6mm blank- Gain twist 8.7-8.3" twist 28" finished length .112 freebore. What Mike has found is that you can run hotter loads and not see the pressure that you would by using a straight 8" twist thus increasing velocity to a point. The idea is that the long skinny high bc bullet gets a gradual start into the fast twist rifling, eliminates any potential for bullet core seperation and the resulting inaccuracy associated w/ that. He uses a straight (vs. 11 deg.) crown. His records speak for themself.
    - Chambered and headspaced by world record holder and builder of record holding 6brx's- Mike Davis in NC (builds Sam Hall's rifles, etc.)
    - All polished to a mirror finish.
    - I received the SSS LRBR stock- Rosewood, brown black w/ adj cheekpiece and need to bed and finish it. Should be sweet when done.
    Honestly, I could have almost built a custom (Barnard, Bat, Stiller, etc.) for what I am going to have into this. I did save money on the stock for sure. But, Its going to be fun beating those guys w/ a Savage! Thats just me though.
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0150.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0153.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0154.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0155.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0152.jpg[/img]

82boy

Re: New 6brx build Starting to take shape!- Pics, barrled action, nutless, etc.

Looks good.
    If it was my build I would have had a left feed port milled, and turned it into a dual port. My thoughts is if the brass is not flying you are a dying. The dual ports just run like bolt action machine guns.

Basic Member

Patrick, I agree, after I got it, I started thinking the same thing. It looks sweet in the stock. I will post pics when it is fitted, bedded and finished.

very nice work! Put the port in the bottom and let them fall :)
    This is some of Freds work.

.223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Hmmm... Has me thinking Greg. Me like that!
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    Patrick, I agree, after I got it, I started thinking the same thing. It looks sweet in the stock. I will post pics when it is fitted, bedded and finished.
    Well its not to late, I would shoot the season the way it is and then at winter time I would think about doing it. The Drop port is awesome, but I still think I would rather have a dual port.

possum1

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    very nice work! Put the port in the bottom and let them fall :)
    This is some of Freds work.

Does the ejector kick it down ???

82boy

I believe it is just gravity. The extractor pulls it and it fall through the hole.

Basic Member

like the Stiller Drop port action.

pa hog

Wow! great build!!! Where does one find info on the oversized bolt body's?? Gotta link to them??

82boy

Basic Member

It took a while to get the bolt body as I just missed a "run" of them. They wait until they accumulate enough orders then make a run with some extras to have in stock. My timing wasn't good, but the wait wasn't too bad. I had a friend call up and get one out in less than a week as they had it in stock. It was $99 and really improves the feel/ fit, etc as it is oversized and when the bolt is the whole way back, there is no slop. Does it make it more accurate, I don't know, I kind of doubt it. but I wanted it.

Basic Member

Now that is a work of art!