We went out last weekend and again yesterday to our REALLY long range spot. This is an area where shot distance is pretty much limited by cartridge choice and how long you can stay stable after going subsonic. My buddy's Leica 1600 range finder can't come close to keeping up out here. All of the ranging is done with a Vectronix Terrapin which will give ranges to 22-2400 yards in bright sun, well past 3000 yards in overcast conditions, and over 4000 yards under ideal conditions. For the mid range stuff (under 1400 yards) I run the 284 Striker or the 260 pistol. Beyond that is when I need to actually dig out the rifles.

The last two trips out we've been shooting in the 2000- 2400 yard range. I tried my 284 Striker at that 2368 yards, but I needed 143.6 MOA of adjustment. Unfortunately my scope just didn't have that much left even after running the Mk 4 at half power, maxing out the turrets, and using all of the hold over in the reticle. I sure did try though! LOL

Next up was the 338 Edge with the 300 gr OTMs at 2890 fps. Full disclosure on this one, it's not a Savage. This rifle is a Jim Borden switch barrel built off of a Borden BRL action. So the Edge needed 97.6 MOA to get to 2368. I dialed the 92 MOA I had in the scope and held 5.5 in the reticle. This one we actually got video of. It took about 3 shots to get dialed in but we were consistently hitting within a few inches of the target rock. The time of flight is over 4 seconds!! The target is the rock 2 MILs right and .5 MIL up from center.
http://youtu.be/7DaUHSs_u3g

I ran the 375 BME at the same spot that day but the camera battery was dead at that point. The BME took 98.3 MOA to get a 350 grain Match King to that range. I also tried the BME at the same target from 2852 yards but never got closer that 1 MOA to the rock the wind had changed by then.

We went out yesterday and took a few guys who had never shot past 300 yards up to that spot yesterday to have them try at 2058 yards. Everybody got within 1.5 MOA of the target after we dialed the corrections for them.

The biggest problem now is that we need bigger guns. The 338 Edge and BME just aren't keeping up at this range! I have a 338/408 CheyTac improved reamer sitting on my bench. I'm just waiting on all of the parts to come in to finish it. Then the 3000 yard rocks will be in trouble!

Andrew