Thread: New place to shoot.....

New place to shoot.....

This isnt going to be anything exciting for you western guys but I got a place to go do some long range shooting. I had to go to my in-laws this past week and got taken up onto a big reclaimed strip mine and was told I could shoot up there anytime I wanted. My local range goes to 400 but, Im pretty sure I can get to about 1k here. I snapped a couple pics while I was there.

Im hoping I can maybe get down there in the next several weeks and try my hand at it!
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Looks like long range heaven to me!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I hope so! Im pretty excited about it, 1st time Ive ever been on top an old strip mine. The place is huge! I didnt get a chance to get any really good pics, but I will when I go back. Its about time to stretch the legs on the 280AI, and the 6x55.....
    Scooter

I'm shooting tomorrow, I've got 4 rifles I'm working up loads for, and 3 more steel targets to set up - 4" at 800, 6" at 1200, and 8" at 1600.
    I'm anxious to get the 190 VLD loads ironed out in the 300 WinMag and the 300 WSM. Just snagged two boxes of 6mm 95gr VLD's so as soon as I get some loaded up, I'll see how the 6x55 likes them. Then I've got some 129gr LRAB's to try out in the 6.5 WSM. I'll probably throw about 300 rounds down range and then come home and shoot my monthly e-mail match target in the 17HMR. It should be a fun day!
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Wow! Sounds like a really good day! I saw some steel plates in the sportsman's guide catalog the other day, I thought about ordering a couple to tinker with.
    Im curious to see your results, you can post em on this thread if ya want....wont bother me at all.
    Scooter

I'll probably update the 6.5 and 6x55 threads I've got running just to get them back on page 1 where I can find them. Did you ever e-mail that spreadsheet?

Oh ok, sounds good. Sorry, was at my in-laws most of the week for a funeral, and didnt have any phone service. Ill send it now.
    Scooter

Awesome. I'll update the two 300's here. The WinMag hasn't been shot at more than 200 when I was setting up the Leupold 4.5-14x50 shortly after I got it. I was shooting 180 Sierra Spitzers with it and was getting 3/4" groups at 200. It's a fluted stainless heavy barrel with a factory muzzle brake. Savage really screwed up when they made these barrels 22" (24" with brake) and velocity suffers a bit. The BC of the 190 Bergers should make up for that somewhat. I'm currently getting 3160fps with a 165 AccuBond though, so it could be worse. The WSM is just a stock 11 Trophy Hunter, and last time I took it out to 421 with 165 Sierra SBT's I couldn't hit steel with its Redfield 4-12. It now wears a Vortex 6.5-20, and the way it groups at 100 I shouldn't have any problems on steel once I get it zeroed. More tomorrow....

I like at least a 24in barrel on a mag too. I think 3160 is acceptable. Sounds like theres good potential on both 300s....look forward to seein the results. I emailed that to you.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    A box of orange clay targets last a long time. Just drive over there and place a dozen or so in good spots.
    For a bigger target just group a few. Even when they break you will still see them.
    Also roll a few rocks to where they can be easily seen. Sun angle can be a problem so try to find different
    spots for different times of the day. What youve found is just the tip of an iceberg you havent really been looking for.
    Now you will be finding others. Good spot to be on opening day buck. The far hill could be better.

Hadnt thought about the clay pigeons, thanks yobuck! Opening season buck day would be great but....that place is 1 of 4 bow only counties in the state lol
    There are some other strip jobs my father-in-law told me about too that Id like to go check out.
    Scooter

That's awesome. We're cursed with pancake-flat ground covered with jungle around here. I'd gladly pay for access to a spot like that.

My father-in-laws neighbor used to work for the mines and I was talking to him the other day about shooting (he shoots some too). I asked if there was access to some of the strip mines and if you could shoot on them. He said oh yeah, Ill take you up there tomorrow and show ya.....obviously I was pretty stoked. Especially where I live because long range like that is nearly impossible to find.
    Scooter

Nice.....time to start reading winds a ?.....

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    What's all those big bumps in the ground?
    We don't have those here in the flatland swamps of Florida.

Looks like a great place.
    Nice score.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Yep on the winds....Ive never really had to take that into acct before so thatll be interesting lol.
    Fgw, we call those hills where I come from lol......
    I cant wait! Plans are to go down there next weekend, and try to shoot Saturday morning. I shot out to 400 at the range the other day to verify my drops with my trajectory charts and such. Out to 400 things seemed pretty spot on so hopefully Ill at least be able to keep it on paper as I go out farther.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Having someone else along acting as spotter will make a big difference.
    Have them sit behind you with a spotting scope on a tripod.
    Keep the target in the bottom half of the spotter to allow for trajectory path.
    Try to set up your targets where there is dirt not weeds if possible and hits will be easier to see.
    Steep banks above old roads work well.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    This isnt going to be anything exciting for you western guys but I got a place to go do some long range shooting. I had to go to my in-laws this past week and got taken up onto a big reclaimed strip mine and was told I could shoot up there anytime I wanted. My local range goes to 400 but, Im pretty sure I can get to about 1k here. I snapped a couple pics while I was there.

Im hoping I can maybe get down there in the next several weeks and try my hand at it!
    Scooter
    The winds in that area ought to make for interesting shooting.

Basic Member
    looks like some of the west to me and a great (windy) place...shoot straight scooter!

Oh yeah, winds will be all over the place.... up, down, around....lol
    Planning on going down there tomorrow evening and shoot Saturday morning......
    Scooter

Well, I got to shoot a little bit there Saturday. I will add a disclaimer, lol. I had company (my father-in-law and his buddy) so I didnt really get to shoot as much as I wanted or had planned in my head. I had driven up there the evening before just to range some places and get an idea where to go the next morning. Much to my suprise and enjoyment....I can shoot as far as I'd ever need or want to. I hit 1600+ on several distant hillsides with my new Leica 1600.
    I had wanted to step out gradually, as I had only been to 400 on paper. I had wanted to go 500ish, 600ish, and so on. We got up there and the guy with us told us where to go which was actually where I was the day before. I ranged the first spot and it was 740ish. He said you wanted 700 right? I said sure so....I started at 749......not ideally what I wanted but might as well try it.
    Got everything set up and ranged it again, and my Strelok app had my drop at about 17 MOA, I actually ended up going to 18.25 MOA to get me on paper. Ive never really had to worry about wind till now....WOW! Lol. It varied from roughly 5-10mph crosswind....I had to adjust anywhere from 3-5 MOA.
    I wasnt impressed with my shooting, and Ive got a lot of work to do but.....I had a blast and can't wait to go back. This long range stuff is addicting....and its just another 250 to 1k! Cant wait!
    Scooter