Thread: Light Primer Strikes Hog Hunter .223

PBinWA

Light Primer Strikes Hog Hunter .223

I was breaking in a Hog Hunter in .223 today. It seems to be hitting the primer but not very hard.

I was shooting some Silver State Armory 77gr OTM loads and NONE of them would fire.

I shot some Brazilian CBC OTM loads and 10 out of 50 would not fire. For the 40 that did shoot it was a tack driver.

The Silver State Armory worked fine in a stock DPMS AR-15.

I took the bolt apart and lubed it inside and out and it still wouldn't light off the SSA loads. Everything seems to be working fine from a functional perspective. I think maybe the firing pin isn't protruding far enough or it just isn't hitting the primer hard enough. There's an imprint on the primer and it seems "ok" but I think it could be a little deeper.

Aside from sending the whole gun in to Savage is there anything I can do to adjust the firing pin?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PB

PBinWA
    OK, I found this: http://www.switchbarrel.com/Spring.htm

With the firing pin spring removed, you can check firing pin protrusion by dropping the pin into the bolt body and measuring protrusion with a caliper or depth micrometer. Protrusion should be .05-.062 inch. To adjust, move the lockwasher up the pin and turn the stop nut to increase or decrease protrusion. Make sure the teeth at the back of the nut line up with the teeth on the lock washer. When the spring is installed it will keep the lock washer pushed against the stop nut.
    Does that sound right?

when you pull the trigger does the firing pin slam home with authority? Do you have a depth mic or good set of dial calipers?

PBinWA
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    when you pull the trigger does the firing pin slam home with authority? Do you have a depth mic or good set of dial calipers?
    Yeah it seems to slam home, there's definite impact on the primer but it just looks like it should be a little deeper.

Is this the right measurement - I should be looking for:
    Protrusion should be .05-.062 inch.
    ?

I'm going to work on it tomorrow.

PBinWA
    Pictures always help ...

If the picture is of one that did not fire, that is a good primer strike. Try some different ammo.

Head space may be a problem also. If you have a way to check the shoulder length you could compare the ones that fired to the ones that did not. Also the primer can get pushed back on a head space issue. You protrusion can be down around .040 or less according to the guru if I remember what he stated recently. I personally try to hit .045 to plus or minus .005. the numbers you provide are safe. For sake of discussion the longer protrusion may increase the risk of primer piecing on high pressure rounds and could deform the primer enough to compromise the primer seal on softer primers. I might be full of brown stuff but that is my thinking.

PBinWA
    Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    If the picture is of one that did not fire, that is a good primer strike. Try some different ammo.
    Yeah - I think the ammo is probably cheap(er) crap but the fact that it works in a stock DPMS AR but not my Savage kind of bums me out. I was hoping for more reliability with a bolt gun.

SSA is not cheap ammo is it. I think Nosler makes it.

PBinWA
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    SSA is not cheap ammo is it. I think Nosler makes it.
    Yeah, it is "cheaper" than most 77Gr. OTM loads though. "Cheaper" being a relative term.

Dropped an American Eagle round in the gun and it went bang. It is probably a combination of the ammo and the firing pin. Either the spring is too light or I need to tweak the depth a little.

Anyone know where to order replacement springs? Is this one of those "call Savage" things?

gotcha
    PB, Don't jump to conclusions about weak springs yet. Disassemble your bolt as per faq's at this site. look for signs of galling on F.P. which would indicate bits of brass shards or other foreign material inhibiting the thrust of the F.P.----- Clean thoroughly!!!!! Polish if necessary. Savages are known for having a loose fit between F.P. and F.P. hole in bolt face. Lots of opportunity to collect trash...... I say this because the case head on your SSA ammo is extremely uneven and I think, prone to having bits & pieces of brass break loose and find its way into the bolt body. .............. A simple cleaning of the bolt assy. might be your solution...... .050" to .062" protrusion is factory spec. SHARPSHOOTER recommends .045" & all of mine are set there (including .223 Rem & .223AI) Good luck with your quest and please keep us informed :)

Basic Member
    Another tip, when cleaning a bolt run a pipe cleaner w/solvent, PB Blaster or whatever from the pin hole back through and out the end of the shaft. Sometimes trash, gunk, old oil and other stuff likes to take up residence in there.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.