Thread: 300 Win Mag / Stevens project

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

300 Win Mag / Stevens project

Here's another one I put together while updating my beloved '06.
    This one is going to be named after one of my ex-wives. There were moments of absolute happiness but mostly it was a real pain in my avocados to put together.

-It's made from Stevens 200 action (dated 2006, found in pawn shop for 200 bucks & needed love)
    -24" magnum contour Shaw barrel
    -Vortex Viper (as usual)
    -PT&G bottom metal w/ Accurate mags - A word about PT&G: After what I went thru buying that bottom metal, I wouldn't buy so much as a nut & bolt from them EVER again. I'll stop here. I need to refill my blood pressure pills.
    -Boyd's Classic in what was supposed to be Pepper but looks more of a greyish color. I think I like it better than the original Pepper color.
    -Another bolt handle from mscott71. Good guy. Does a nice job on them.
    -Savage Accu-Trigger
    -1" muzzle break from Nate in Idaho. Nice & loud. Recoils about the same as my '06. Sort of.
    -I also pillared & bedded it using threaded lamp tubing and J&B weld.

I haven't had a chance to do any real ammo testing but it sure does launch a 220 Nosler CC with authority. Makes one helluva splash downrange.

All in all, it was a fun project. I still have a little touching up to do but as we all know, building a rifle is a never ending project. I look forward to dialing in some ammo for it.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

LongRange
    very nice fgw....name her LMB!!!

Basic Member
    If I was going with just initials it would have to be NGMB.

I think in the interest of keeping it clean I'll go with a few lyrics from an old Steppenwolf song - Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty.

(From "Don't Step On The Grass Sam" from 1968)

Team Savage
    Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    You mean like outstanding in the parking lot?

Thanks Jim.

I like it Frank. Looks sexy as hell.

Just curious, you are updating your '06, you didn't shoot out my Ol' 06 barrel already have you?
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Ya know you're right Boots. It does have a rather sexy look to it. I was going for the manly mean black look but it does have sex appeal.

As for the old '06 barrel, it's still in service. That barrel has been responsible for many hours of fun shooting and the early demise of several hogs. Until I built a .270 specifically for hogs the '06 was my rifle of choice.
    Always got the head shot and always had plenty of sausage.

BarrelNuts
    Nice looking set up...

Is that bolt handle a thread-on or is it a one piece that goes directly onto the bolt?

Looks great dude!

The rifle makes you look like you are trying to over compensate, from to many years of being Metrosexual

Author Unknown
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Remember, I am retired now.
    With a whole lotta nothing to do.

Don't make me drive north, sneak behind enemy lines and smack you for that.

Basic Member
    "Nice looking set up...

Is that bolt handle a thread-on or is it a one piece that goes directly onto the bolt? "

Thanks.
    That's a one piece deal. I think I mentioned mscott71 - one of our guys here makes them. Drop him a PM if you have questions about them.

I know you will never try this but I am going to put the load out there anyway, 110gr Vmax's, Sierra's, and Speers with 88gr of RL17 that is good for 4500 FPS + with no bullet drop over 400 yards and a nice vapor trail to boot.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I would try it but with 30 cal rifles I'm having a hard time wanting to run a light bullet thru it.

I see the recipes and the velocities in my manuals but I kinda lean toward heavy bullets. In the past I always had trouble getting decent grouping with heavy bullets then, one day a guy I know told me "long bullets don't like jerky powders. Stay with slower powders."

Heeding that advice I've been getting good consistent grouping and decent velocity with heavy bullets.
    When I have a chance, a few spare moments in otherwise busy life, I'll put up a few targets with 220 Nosler Custom Comps and 200 Sierra GK bullets. Looking pretty good so far.

PS - Double base powders seem to work better than single base. The 300 is especially fond of RL22 & RL25.

zdiddy0313
    Nice looking rig there, I like the bolt handle and thruster you have on there. The bolt makes the thruster kind of match, (Humor)yes it was dry. I really like how you did not blend the break with the barrel contour.

Does the guy who did you bolt handle make them all the time?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zdiddy0313 View Post
    Nice looking rig there, I like the bolt handle and thruster you have on there. The bolt makes the thruster kind of match, (Humor)yes it was dry. I really like how you did not blend the break with the barrel contour.

Does the guy who did you bolt handle make them all the time?
    Go and PM Mike. (mscott71) It may take a day or 3 to get back to you. I think he works or goes fishing or chasing women or something. Drop him a line & tell him what you want.
    He'll hook you up.
    Also, I didn't care to make the break the same diameter as the barrel. I wanted to give it that anti-aircraft gun look or light artillery look...