Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30" criterion report.....

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    ill shoot the 45.2g load again this weekend as well as play with seating depth with 44.2g load and see what happens.
    well all joking aside id be doing as homefrontsniper advised and if that worked well id have my load.

I would revisit the charge for group number 3 as well. It would be interesting to know if it would work as good and not stressing the gun itself with the stouter load.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by homefrontsniper View Post
    Shoot 45.2 @ 300 or 500 yds,
    Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    well all joking aside id be doing as homefrontsniper advised and if that worked well id have my load.
    homefront and buck...i will definitely be shooting the 45.2 load again just to see if it holds together and if it does that would be great but what im trying to do here is to see how well the OCW method works if followed to the letter and if it will produce a stable load. now im not an expert on the OCW load development but from what ive read and how i interpret what ive read is that groups #1 #2 and #3 all have the same pattern or point of impact and group #4 is my scatter node...so by choosing the middle charge(group #2 at 44.2g)it will produce a load that will have the same point of impact if its warmer or cooler and should tighten up by adjusting the seating depth...ill keep this going this weekend and see how it goes...right now im pretty intrigued with the results ive had after 1 time out using the OCW method...like i said ive tried OCW in the past but never followed to the letter like i did with this test.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    I would revisit the charge for group number 3 as well. It would be interesting to know if it would work as good and not stressing the gun itself with the stouter load.
    i will shoot #3 again as well because i know i pulled shot #3 and its driving me nuts LOL but had that last shot gone in the same hole or at least clover-ed i think the search would of been over.

LongRange
    well i got out last saturday early and found the seating depth for the 44.2g load then went back out to test a few at 500yds but by the time i got out the second time the mirage was so bad i could barely see my target but i went ahead and shot the 45.2g and 44.5g loads....ill get out early this saturday and shoot all 3 of these loads at 500yds.....the 44.5g load looks to be just a little better than the 45.2g load but like i said i could barely see the target at 500yds....both groups 6 rounds....

by the time i got to the 44.2g load at 500yds all i could see was a white blurr so i shot a few 10 shot groups at 100yds so i could anneal my brass...i didnt want to have to set up to anneal only a few pieces....

it was about 95deg by this group and i just wanted to go so the pulled shots are all me rushing things...

ill get this all dialed in this weekend and post up but so far this barrel is looking to be one of the best(if not the best)barrels ive shot!!

Looks awesome man!

Basic Member
    Looks good

LongRange
    i went out this morning at 6am and not even a breeze blowing...got to my spot and set up at 500yds and by the time i got back to my shooting spot(about 3mins)the wind was blowing about 20mph...i waited an hour and the wind was gusting up and down so i called it.

on a side note i cleaned the barrel last night just to see how the carbon/copper was after 100 rounds...all i can say is the RL-19 runs SUPER dirty in this barrel...i ran 15 patches of mecury power tune then pushed a soaked bronze brush through 5 times then another 5 patches then the brush again 5 times then 5 patches before 99% of the carbon was out. i then ran 4 patches of motana extreme and only pulled VERY light blue so i doubt ill worry about copper for at least 500 rounds. as far as the carbon/soot goes im thinking ever 75 to 100 rounds but ill have to see how it shoots clean before i can actually decide on that. if the wind dies off soon ill get back out(supposed to be 105* today)if not ill wait till tomorrow.

Basic Member
    Get some c4 carbon remover. You will love it.
    Carbon is brown, copper blue, powder black,

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by homefrontsniper View Post
    Get some c4 carbon remover. You will love it.
    Carbon is brown, copper blue, powder black,
    ill look into that thanks homefront.

LongRange
    so ive been out 5 times this weekend...3 times yesterday and twice today. im done with the RL-19 for now but might try it with the 123g bullets at some point...its very accurate in this barrel but also VERY hard to clean out...even after only 25 rounds i had to take a bronze brush to the barrel to get it clean. i decided to try an OCW with some norma MRP and 123g amaxes yesterday as quick load show almost 3300fps with only 56000psi((i chronied 5 rounds at 3152 to 3175 at 1g below my set max) and it looked great at 100yds but at 300yds everything opened up and the best group was 3.5".
    i decided to shoot an OCW with RL-17 and 123g amaxes this morning since it shot so well with the 142g SMKs and the 123g amaxes shoot good in my other rifle....

the charges between 44g and 45g looked just like this group but a little farther apart...

below is 44g not 43.6....

Last edited by LongRange; 07-05-2015 at 07:56 PM.

LongRange
    now with 3 groups producing almost 1 hole groups i figured i go back out and shoot those three loads loaded the same as they were for the OCW at .020 off the lands...i loaded 8 rounds at 43.6g...5 rounds at 44gs and 5 rounds at 45gs and went back out...i forgot my chrony and was starving as i forgot to eat....

im not sure what this is all about LOL...

the primer thing is a note to myself as ive had this vertical stringing like this in the past and a primer swap and small charge adjustment fixed it...

now this really burns my a$$ as i could feel myself shouldering my rifle and instead of re-positioning i keep shooting...you can bet this is a 1 hole group next weekend...quick load shows this load at 3163fps and 57,697PSI...these primers looked the same as the 44g load...

im going to run OCWs on Hybrid 100v and H4350 this week after work and see how they shoot but the RL-17 is going to be hard to beat.

LongRange
    off topic....you just have to love stainless tumbled brass...90mins in cold water 1/2 table spoon of orange ajax and a 1/4 teaspoon of limie shine...

and wild horses...these horses will walk up about 10ft from my truck while im shooting and just stand there until i get up...ive set up targets several times and they will knock them over...always at 500+yds LOL!!

jb6.5
    That looks like some perty country. Got to be nice to be able to shoot as far as you want. We have to look real hard around here to find 500 yards.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by jb6.5 View Post
    That looks like some perty country. Got to be nice to be able to shoot as far as you want. We have to look real hard around here to find 500 yards.
    10 minutes from my house.

LongRange
    so ive settled on 123g and 142g smks in this rifle...but will shoot mostly the 123g...ive been out 3 times today and did 3 OCW tests as i decided to only try 3 powders that i know will produce what im looking for...RL-17,H4350 and hybrid 100V...the 123g smks DID NOT like RL-17 as there was no type of patteren with any of the charges...the groups looked like every shot was a flyer....next i shot H4350 which we know shoots just about everything well and last was the hybrid 100V which i like and have had great results with. i had some random flyers with the H4350 and started having the same type of flyers when i shot the 100V...when i shot the first flyer i chaulked it up to a pulled shot with the 100V...then the second flyer and i knew something wasnt right because it was the exact same flyer about 2" low...i got up and started checking my rifle and found the butt plate had slid back into the stock about an inch or so so my LOP was off...guess i didnt tighten the screws...anyway youll see what happened in the pics....ill post the H4350 OCW first and im not sure if the butt plate did the same thing during this test but if it did i didnt notice...all these shots felt clean BUT should have grouped better.....

LongRange
    now the 100V OCW....

youll notice on this OCW several of the first and third shots are in or close to the same hole...most of the third shots were after i found the butt plate issue and fixed it...im going to shoot all of the best looking groups from the H4350 test and the 100V test tomorrow morning and see how they shoot at 4 or 500yds and if the dont shoot ill re-shoot the OCW and make sure everything is tight this time LOL!!

Basic Member
    Had a simular experience today but it was the rear action screw. Couldn't figure out why my lower charges shot higher then my hottest load. DOH!

LongRange
    I hear ya....i hate when i do stupid stuff like this...i knew i was going out 3 times today after the RL-17 shot so bad so i was trying to hurry....with the 30" barrel i have to colapse the LOP every time as it wont fit in my case...i guess i didnt tighten the screws.

LongRange
    well one of 3 things happen this weekend...#1 i suck at shooting...#2 my scope is broken...#3 this barrel HATES 123g SMKs and as of right now im going with #3 until i can verify #1 and #2 next weekend or maybe one day this week.
    the 100V shot worse than the RL-17 at distance....best group was about 5" at 400yds and showed no real promise at any seating depth so i went with the H4350 with slightly better results but nothing to make me pursue the 123g SMKs as the 123g amaxes and 142g SMKs both shot very well.

this was the first group i shot with 43.3g of H4350...i know whats causing the vertical...i like my stock butt heavy...and this makes no since to me but this 30" barrel has more muzzle rise than a 28" barrel...so i adjusted my bipod back 6" to better balance the rifle and that seemed to open up another can of worms as youll see....

this is the first group after the bipod adjustment....ill take some of the blame but im pretty sure im not that bad of a shot....

this was the next groups...1,2 and 3 in the same hole then 4 and 5...this is where i was like WTF????

then this....

and then this.....

i tried from .005 jammed to .050 off and nothing....im going to shoot the RL-19 load with the 142g SMK to verify scope and shooter and will get back...im really wondering about the scope as this rifle fell out of the out of the back of my truck a year or so back.

LongRange
    well i shot 6 rounds at 100yds last night to check the scope and its tracking as true as i can shoot so i guess 30" is just to much barrel for me so its going in today to get 4" cut off and re-crowned...i should have it back thursday.
    the reason im going 26" is ive always shot 28" barrels and want to try a shorter barrel just to see the difference...if any....ill post up when i get this barrel back.

as a side note im extremely happy with the quality of this barrel i just think that 30" is to long for the type of shooting i do....it would probably be great for a bench rest shooter....so me having 4" cut off has nothing to do with the quality of the barrel....it was just something i wanted to try.

Basic Member
    I told ya so.......
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I told ya so.......

Ive been waiting for this LMAO....you were right but i just had to try....if the smith does a nice job and it shoots well i may take my 28" shilen to him and have it cut down to 24".

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Ive been waiting for this LMAO....you were right but i just had to try....if the smith does a nice job and it shoots well i may take my 28" shilen to him and have it cut down to 24".
    Dave
    I think we need to start calling the research and development guy instead of long range..lololol
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Dave
    I think we need to start calling the research and development guy instead of long range..lololol
    LMAO....agreed!!

LongRange
    so i got the barrel back from the smith....now thats what i call a turn around time....drop it off yesterday and pick it up today....im also thinking this is my new go to guy...he seems to be VERY knowledgeable about precision and is pretty OCD about his work and how things are done.

now the bad news...he wasnt real impressed with the quality of this barrel...one because of the crown...where the crown met the bore there was a bevel...it wasnt sharp like a crown should be and he also said that the bore was not concentric to the barrel...he said as long as the bore is concentric it should be fine so we will see....he doubts that an average shooter would ever notice so i should be good LOL!!
    he also agreed with Fred saying that 30" for a 260 is to much barrel and 28" is pushing it...24" to 26" is optimal.

and im in no way bashing CBI and dont want this to turn into that im just reporting what i was told GOOD and/or BAD i wont hold any punches!!

this is the new crown...if you look at the bevel on the edge where it steps down that is what the crown looked like on the barrel before cutting and recrowning...not that big but you could see it plane as day....ill call him tomorrow and get the piece he cut off and post a picture...also the crown he did is all machine work no polishing as he said he will not polish the crown area....

Last edited by LongRange; 07-15-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast