Thread: Time to begain?

zdiddy0313

Time to begain?

I have a Stevens model 200 long Action.

My first question is, are these good?

2, triggers, what are the go too triggers for these rifles.

3, Cycling the action is already pretty good, I have felt better, can this get better.

4, are the go/no go gauges barrel brand specific or can I get a set and will work for any manufactures barrels?

If any of you run this same model, can you post some pics here of more custom jobs, I am a visual person

All the help is appreciated, very new to these rifles.

Basic Member
    1-yes, same action as the Savages.
    2-there are several aftermarket triggers out there, i like the RifleBasix, SAV-2.
    3-it might, depends on how new it is, they do get better with more use. i use a dry lube on mine.
    4-as long as you get the ones for the caliber you wish to shoot they will work on all barrels of same caliber.

the Stevens 200 was my first action i got to start building on, learned alot from this forum. look at the pics on this site of any Savages and you will see some custom jobs. as long as you get parts that are made for the action you have they can be swapped back and forth between Savage and Stevens. the difference in the actions is long action and short action, also there is centerfeed and staggered feed. staggered feed is where your mag remains attached to your action when removed from the stock and centerfeed is where the mag stays in the stock when the action is removed from the stock. hope this helps some.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    The stevens is exactly the same as the savage action. The only differences are the finish on the bolt and the trigger.

I only have experience with the sharp shooter supply competition trigger and I love it. It has a totally different feel than any trigger I've ever felt.

You can have the action timed and trued but it will always be a bit stiffer that other popular actions (ie remington/ winchester) I don't personally have one but I've had the opportunity to shoot a rifle that has been timed and trued by SSS and it does feel a little better. The work is more focused on geometry.

Go/no-go gauges are caliber specific. Not barrel/barrel brand specific. You can use any brand of gauges in any brand of barrel as long as the gauges match the chamber of the barrel.

Also, since you have a long action, you can build to accomodate almost any caliber as long as you don't mind the extra travel distance of the bolt. You don't have to stick to a long action caliber in your action.

Hope this helps. I'm sure more will chime in but you're in the right place for info about your rifle.

zdiddy0313
    I'm starting to get it. caliber specific for the gauges. Are these rifles capable of 1/2 moa or better? I know the shooter and ammo have a factor, but if those factors were capable, can the rifle do it?

Basic Member
    Yes

For smooth cycling some people have had luck with going to a larger smooth(not fluted) bolt body. This will effect back and forth slide. PT&G is the manufacturer. I see no reason to change it out though.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I just used a 200 Stevens action for this project.
    No difference between it & the 110 action. Just comes out of a different door at the factory.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...tevens-project

Note the red blade in the trigger.
    You're a paid member. Go to the classifieds and put up a WTB for an Accu-Trigger. You won't regret it and you'll save a few bucks.

Also, reading is fundamental. Spend a few hours looking thru the different threads. Lots & lots of good info here. Just be careful taking info from a guy named Deano / Scope Eye.
    Trust me on this....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

zdiddy0313
    Thank you gentlemen, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post

Just be careful taking info from a guy named Deano / Scope Eye.
    Trust me on this....
    Amen