Thread: Hello, David from California SF Bay Area

davidbradford

Hello, David from California SF Bay Area

Hello, My name is David. I am from the SF Bay Area - Alameda the Island City of the SF Bay.

Most of my experience with firearms is from service in the Military as an Infantryman. I currently have no firearms. I did have a 5mm Remington Magnum for squirrel hunting when I was 12 up until I joined the Army.

My plan is to get into Varmint hunting and some long range target shooting. Both sports up to 600 yards or so. I want to start with a .223 Savage Model 12 Varmint 26" 1:7 twist or Model 12 Target F/TR in same caliber and twist but 30". I expect to put a high power, high quality scope such as a Vortex, etc in about the same price range as the rifle. As far as optics goes, why by a lesser optic than the rifle I have chosen? That is my current philosophy. I am thinking Second Focal Plane as I am concerned about the reticle being magnified and obscuring the target with a First Focal Plane at long ranges for prairie dog size or smaller targets.

I will probably start out with canned Prairie Dog hunts until I learn my way around. And, to find a long range rifle range somewhere. At the same time I hope to learn the rifle and eventually start to hand load.

Of course, I expect to learn a lot from joining this forum and perhaps my plans could change a bit.

Nice to be here.

David

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.