Thread: 110 rebarreling newb question

danielFL

110 rebarreling newb question

ok I am I looked around a good bit BUT did not find exactly what I am looking for for answers as most ppl seem to go UP in caliber.

I have a pre accutrigger 110 right hand magnum bolt face is 338WM, well its time to change things up and REALLY would like to get down into the 6mm or 6.5 caliber area. NOW I know I need to change my bolt head, barrel and go/no go gauges BUT here is where my question is.

CAN I go that far down and retain factory internal mag?
    CAN I even go that far down in caliber
    OR do I need to stay within the mag caliber family IE next choice for magnum is a 300wm (not preferred )

and anything else I am overlooking in my thinking?

thanks for the info

A change to the 264 WinMag requires only a barrel and go gauge.
    Pretty much the same with any of the WSM's provided your action is a centerfeed model.
    Changing the magazine box opens up a whole array of caliber choices.
    A new bolt head, mag box, barrel and go gauges lets you convert to just about anything out there.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

danielFL
    ok I just was not sure due to the mag size and length if I would run into issues going down to say 6.5cm or 6mm br or even 223 at some point. I don't get to shoot really over 500 yrds with out a multi hr drive so a super mag caliber is not worth price to me

danielFL
    Now mine should be the older stager feed what issues does that present?

danielFL
    Ok i answered my own question about internal mag. I loaded 308 and "lips" held full mag so i should have no issues

BarrelNuts
    New barrel, bolt head, action wrench and/or barrel vise, go gauge (can do without no-go by putting a piece of scotch tape on the back of the go gauge), and a barren nut wrench... I think thats about it. If you decide to go with .260 or other .308 based case on your long action you get the added bonus of being able to seat the heavier bullets way out to the lands without having to worry about whether or not they will fit into the short action magazine box.

danielFL
    Yea i am going shopping tbis weekend for stuff. Who are all you guys useing for drop inbarrels?

Quote Originally Posted by danielFL View Post
    Yea i am going shopping tbis weekend for stuff. Who are all you guys useing for drop in barrels?
    You can't go wrong with any of the top barrel makers, ie, McGowan, Criterion/.Kreiger, Shaw, etc.

danielFL
    yea I was looking at those but also read on a "few" sites about pac-nor? did not see any reviews on here though. any imput on their barrels?

McGowan is my go to first

BarrelNuts
    You might want to give shilen a look as well. Never shot any of the others as I'm new to this; however I will say that both McGowan and Criterion have a really strong following and a lot of guys like what they get from them on here. Really it boils down to personal preference and then of course doing the work of messing around with powders, bullets, primers, cases, neck tension, and seating depth to find the sweet spot for that barrel.

As far as vendors go; check out Jim at Northland... he is one of the vendors listed here. If you are trying to get in touch with them call don't email. Very knowledgeable, very helpful, and usually has a pretty good stock of shilen and criterion on the shelf as well as precision nuts and lugs along with the tools you need to get the job done.

danielFL
    Sweet thanks barrelnuts