Thread: Mk II Failure to Extract/Eject...

Sporting Lad

Question Mk II Failure to Extract/Eject...

After two years of faithful service, my brave little .22 has begun to malfunction.
    At first it was Failure to Extract. The casings were not "stuck" in the chamber as I could easily flick them out with the point of my leatherman. I disassembled the bolt and thoroughly cleaned, lubed, and reassembled it.
    Back at the range I noticed that the ejection was also very weak (on the occasions when the extractors were doing their job). Back to my workshop for another look.
    I can't see any reasons for the failures. It's a pretty simple mech--two tiny extractors and a stationary ejector waiting to launch the casing out into space...
    Actually, it does eject (sort of) but the shell either makes a weak jump, or just lays there in the loading bay, sometimes even wandering down below the bolt where it gets up to mischief.
    The failure to extract continues about 5 out of every 10 shots. It seems the extractors are just not gripping the rims, even tho the bolt goes into battery.
    This is all with long rifle ammo, two different mfgrs.

Any ideas for a fix?

Fiddler
    This seems to be a chronic problem with some MK-II's. Been there myself. Solved the problem by contacting Savage and explaining my problem. They sent a couple of C-clamp extractor springs, free of charge. I slipped a second spring over the first, doubling the grip strength of the extractor. That did the trick. This subject has been discussed extensively in the Savage/Stevens subforum at Rimfire Central. Do a search there and you'll find plenty of info. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    This seems to be a chronic problem with some MK-II's. Been there myself. Solved the problem by contacting Savage and explaining my problem. They sent a couple of C-clamp extractor springs, free of charge. I slipped a second spring over the first, doubling the grip strength of the extractor. That did the trick. This subject has been discussed extensively in the Savage/Stevens subforum at Rimfire Central. Do a search there and you'll find plenty of info. Good luck!
    Exactly what he said.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

exo100
    Well you might think this is crazy but it worked for me and the mkii-fv is shooting dime groups 45 days later at 50 yds. BREAK CLEANER on extractor end!
    Then a good cleaning off with air pressure and then a light spray oil with another shot of air!