I worked up a load for my 223 recently using 69 g SMK, IMR 3031 and Federal Brass, but this time decided to annealed the brass (first time) and did it AFTER U.Sonic clean, tumble, wash and dry. I noticed at lot more "friction" in the neck while seating the bullets and, not surprisingly, it shot like doo-doo. Best groups were .650 at 100 yds. Not exactly stellar for a bullet with the reputation of the SMK.

Not satisfied, I reloaded the same brass, in the same order, WITHOUT cleaning, with exactly the same ingredients, in exactly the same order with respect to charge weight, and noticed a much better consistency while seating bullets. They went in smooth and predictable. I shot again, this time at 200 yds. Best 3 shot group occurred at book max load and measured .214

In call cases, the UNCLEANED brass shot tighter groups than it did when cleaned and freshly annealed, albeit two weeks later, but the weather was similar.

My Hornaday reloading manual 9th addition starts the paragraph on Case Cleaning by saying "not every reloader does this…" and briefly describes tumble and U.S. cleaners, but little else.

My IDEAL reloading manual (1949) starts the paragraph on Case Cleaning quite differently; " We know of no good reason why anyone who is reloading for his own use would bother washing the brass"…. and goes on to state that accuracy "MAY fall off after a cartridge has been reloaded after a years worth of shooting"…and then perhaps washing the brass would be beneficial.

I think I am going to be adding brass annealing to my case prep checklist, but would like to know at what stage of case prep it should be done, how often ( I am only neck sizing and the brass grows in length very little) and what step should be accomplished afterwards so that neck tension remains predictable after annealing operations? Is case/neck lube the best route, or maybe tumbling after annealing to polish the inside of the neck?

Again, I am shooting an off the shelf, stock model .223 Rem chambered Model 12 Varmint, in case this matters.

As always I appreciate any help and advise you guys can offer.