Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
Your experience with the accuracy and power of good old fashioned hunting Savages mimics my own. Find a good hand load and you're good to go.
I see posts all over the internet by a lot of guys who spend too much time sweating the barrel length on rifles such as the 116 Bear Hunter in 300WM convinced they need a 26" tube or a heavy barrel or a dozen other things because of what they have read. They are scared to buy one because it doesn't have some magic combination they read about online. Maybe if they'd spend a little more time shooting and a little less time on charts, graphs and internet lore they would find out just what a quality modern hunting rifle is capable of. Though I enjoy tinkering my Savages as much as the next guy I haven't found one yet that wont respond to the right hand load.
My go to favorite is an old flatback 116FLCSAK in .30-06 just as it came from the factory (trigger adjustment only) that always turns heads with tiny groups and the ability to produce a .30 hole exactly where the crosshairs were when the trigger was pulled. Followed closely in favor by an astoundingly accurate 22" sporter 110 in 25-06 with a rattlecan camo stock.
Good luck with your long range hunting rifle endeavors. :)
Spoken Well