Thread: First Trip To Range With New Trophy Hunter XP - Mixed Results

ChicagoJoe

First Trip To Range With New Trophy Hunter XP - Mixed Results

I bought a Trophy Hunter XP in 7mm08 because I wanted a deer rifle with a detachable box magazine in a sub .308 short action. I took off the factory Weaver mounts and re-installed the package Nikon scope with Talley medium height mounts, then bore-sighted the scope at home.

I went to the range to break-in the barrel and maybe start checking for groups and what ammo she likes. I cleaned the barrel after each shot for the first 10 rounds, then cleaned it after every five rounds. After around 20 rounds I started trying to shoot for groups with various brands/types of ammo, starting with Rem CoreLokt 140gr. My first few groups were big (~5"), but only around 8" low and 3" to the right of the bull. I was able to dial in after only two groups. As I tried different ammo and practiced more, the groups shrank to around 3", and then 1.5" with Federal 140gr and Winchester 140gr. All the ammo I had was 140gr.

I am sure that the large groups were due to shooter error, and not the rifle (I do not get much range time). I had the range officer try her out with the Federal and he shot a 1.5" three round group, with the first two rounds touching. He told me that normally a rifle settles down and starts shooting decent groups after ~200 rounds. All in all, I think she'll be a decent shooter after she is fully broken in, I figure out what ammo she really likes and I practice more.

What bothers me is that when shooting live rounds, the trigger pull feels heavy and gritty - as though the sear was not polished. I had a few fliers because I really had to pull hard on the trigger. When I dry fire the rifle, however, the trigger feels light and crisp. Is this normal for Savage rifles? The bolt took a little effort to cycle after a couple rounds; could the head space be off a touch? I have a Vanguard S2 with the two stage trigger that breaks like glass whether there is is a round in it or not. Your thoughts?

On a different note, to those who have a TH XP in 7mm08, what ammo and bullet weight does yours like?

Thanks,

Joe

Does that rifle have an accutrigger or the old style? Find out what the barrel twist is for sure.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

ChicagoJoe
    It has the Accutrigger, which was one of the reasons I bout the rifle. Not sure about the twist rate.

Kill N Grill
    I can't imagine that the trigger would be effected in any way with a round chambered or not. I think you may be more conscious of what you are feeling while you are at the range with a live round in the chamber. The only time you should clean your barrel is when the accuracy falls off or you change brands of bullets or type of bullet. Then it may take several rounds to "season" the barrel again, to shoot the new ammo at an optimum. If I were to shoot a 7-08 I would chose a lighter than 140 bullet. I have taken many deer with 100 to 120 grain bullets. Shot placement and bullet performance are what kill animals not so much weight. Find a bullet that your barrel likes and shoot the heck out of it. Good luck.

Basic Member
    What twist is the barrel? My 7-08 is the slow twist, but it shoots bullets up to 140 very well- all handloads . My two favorite bullets are the 120 Nosler BT and the 139 Hornady flat base soft point. I agree with backing off the cleaning. My first shot out of a clean barrel is usually away from the group.

Basic Member
    I have a trophy hunter xp
    It shoots very well with nosler 120 ballistic tips and H4895
    I do not know if you reload though so that may not help
    I am with the others, you should try some lighter ammo just to see

Just as kill n grill stated, I seem to notice a lot of things when I am shooting verses dry fire
    be sure you are pulling straight back on the trigger so the center blade is fully compressed
    I doubt that the accutrigger will be as crisp as the two stage trigger on your other rifle without some polishing

Jack

ChicagoJoe
    Thanks for the feedback

RMDave34
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
    Thanks for the feedback
    ChicagoJoe I am feeling the same with my trigger as you. Feels nice, light and crisp on dry but when firing live rounds feels heavy and gritty.

Basic Member
    I'm gonna respectfully and jokingly say " its all in your head." :) Maybe not so much that it's gritty and stiff when loaded, but that you think it's better when not loaded.

Try leaving fired brass in the chamber and see if you can tell the difference between live and fired rounds and empty chamber.