Thread: Axis 7mm-08 160 grain Speer loads

tinbird

Axis 7mm-08 160 grain Speer loads

Hi guys, tried the search but didn't get the info I'm looking for, mind you maybe I didn't use the right search terms either.
    Anyway, I want to load 160 gr. Speer Deep Curls for my Axis, I checked and with the bullet seated basically at the base of the neck, the rounds won't be too long to load the mag with.
    I'm wondering if any of you folks have worked up loads with either AA4064, H4895 or Varget with this particular bullet and what your average results have been.
    Up here, north of the 49th, components are quite difficult to come by, let alone loaded ammunition and fortunately I have a couple pounds of the above powders to work with.

Any help/info you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Tinbird

DO NOT just load them like they are any regular bullet, you will be sad. Those bullets are different construction, and need there own data, lest ye have some wicked secondary pressure spikes.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

tinbird
    Whoa, pressure spikes indeed, were these loads using standard powder weights for cup and core bullets or specifically Speer's info?
    Appreciate you posting this.

tinbird
    Just opened the box of .284 160 grain Deep Curl bullets to start my reloads and found a warning tag was included, everyone please take note when using Speer Deep Curl bullets for your loads.
    As I can't add attachments this is what was the warning tag states:

WARNING

DeepCurl's unique construction process joins the jacket to the core at the molecular level for excellent performance and consistency.
    For the reason, conventional reloading data developed for standard jacketed bullets should not be used to load DeepCurl bullets. Only DeepCurl specific reloading data released by Speer Bullets should be used. It can be found at www.speer-bullets.com or by contacting Speer Technical Services at 866-286-7436. (Bold face is Speer's)

Again, I appreciate input from Darkker as well as the graph that was included that demonstrates just how easy it is to exceed recommended pressures (I was thinking of using conventional load data until I both read Darkker's post and opened the box).
    As I have Re-19 and this is included in the reload data provided by the Speer website, I'm going with this for now and hopefully develop a decent 200 yard hunting load.

When I get the chance to try them, I'll post my results good or bad.

All the best guys

Tb

Yes, that was loaded as though it was a traditional cup-n-core bullet. Point was to see if there really is a difference. As you can see, there most certainly is.

This is a reinforcement of the reality of NOT trying to "read" pressures from primers/brass. Those rounds sounded perfectly normal, recoiled normally, "looked" normal, extracted normal.

tinbird
    Very good point and demonstration darkker, as well a lesson for all of us to be mindful of the components we use and not 'assume' when reloading. It was amazing the spike that your load exhibited. For interest sake was is a max. load with the W748 powder?

No not a Max load, but not near the info at the moment.

tinbird
    I also found it interesting that only two of the loads spiked in comparison to the others. I wouldn't even rate my understanding of internal ballistics as elementary :), I would thought all shots would have displayed similar pressures. Do you think this is perhaps due to physical tolerance differences in manufacture of the various components all be at the upper end of acceptable (i.e. oversize bullet diameter, thicker case neck or harder brass, hotter primers) all coming together in the two cartridges in comparison to the rest?

Try the link. It will open a PDF file.
    http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/7mm...9_DataFile.pdf

If that does not work go to this page and find your boolit.
    http://www.speer-bullets.com/whatsne...ding_data.aspx

tinbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Try the link. It will open a PDF file.
    http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/7mm...9_DataFile.pdf

If that does not work go to this page and find your boolit.
    http://www.speer-bullets.com/whatsne...ding_data.aspx

Was looking at that very link earlier Robinhood, thanks for posting.
    Biggest problem now is finding available powder(s) from that list near me.