Thread: Model 11 Fail To Fire

Roach_68

Model 11 Fail To Fire

I've been having issues with my model 11 not firing occasionally(10 times or less in 400rds). It's a model 11 hog hunter

action with model 12 .204 barrel. All reloads and all Rem 7 1/2 primers from vastly different lots. I get an indention from

the firing pin, I can recock and try again and still get nothing. I've checked the firing pin protrusion and I'm within spec of

what people have posted here, length of the spring while compressed was checked also and it was good. I'm not sure if I

have a slightly bent firing pin, a weak spring or what I have going on. I've got a picture of all the primers that didn't fire and

a few of them look kinda weak. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Roach_68
    [IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    For whatever it's worth to you, I have a couple boxes of Rem 1-1/2 & 7-1/2 primers from 5 or 6 years ago. I had the same problem. Waaaaayyy to many FTF per card or 100.
    They now reside in the primer cabinet marked "emergency use only" as it'll take an emergency to use Rem primers ever again.

The specimens you show look like they took a pretty good strike. Yet, no boom.

Pick yo' sef up a box of CCI's or Wolf and have a go of it.

A quick edit: I just looked in the cabinet and there's 2 boxes of 5-1/2's in there, too.
    Emergency use only...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Roach_68
    I had originally thought the primers were the problem, I had some 7 1/2's left over from 2012 that were giving me the most problems but I bought some newer ones and had a dud in the first 50rds. I've had one with CCI BR's too

Basic Member
    New rifle?
    Or one you had for a while and just recently acting up?

New rifle: I'd pull the bolt apart and look for spooge or trash in the bolt body. On the way out I'd increase the spring tension a bit. This is pending you're not sizing your brass too short.
    Here's the kind of crap that can find its way into a bolt:

Note the stray ball bearing wedged under the cocking button. You'd be surprised at the stuff that can find its way in there.

Stick a piece of scotch tape on the head of a brass case. Insert in chamber and close bolt. Closes easily? Add another piece of tape. Still closes easily? Brass is being sized too short. Even with one piece of tape the bolt should feel draggy when you close it.

Use your caliper and check the firing pin protrusion. Let us know what you get and we'll / I'll inundate you with a few other things that can go wrong when you really don't need them to.

Basic Member
    Other thing is there a chance they are getting sizing lube on them? Or cleaning solvent? I've gotten into the habit of dry tumbling after sizing to eliminate the possibility.

Primers may not be seated to bottom, cushioning primer strike.

Roach_68
    I bought the gun used for the action, never fired it before I tore it down. Could of been a pre-existing problem

I plan on stripping the bolt down, cleaning it, look for any burrs and what not and reset everything.

Brass has all been fired formed and neck sized only.

I dry tumble, do case prep, wet tumble, then dry in the oven. Plus I only use dry lube on the necks since I'm not full length resizing

A high primer should fire on a second or 3rd attempt, I've thought on a few of them it was the opposite and the primer pocket was out of spec and too deep but I can knock the unfired primer out, seat a new one and it'll go bang every time

Basic Member
    A wise old man used to tell me "the best place to start is at the beginning" - If you've eliminated to possibility that it may be brass size and you're absotively posilutely sure, pull the bolt apart.

If push comes to shove, send it down here to me. I'll get it broken in and battle ready for ya...

Basic Member
    If the primer compound is upset with the first strike no amount of additional strikes will set the primer off. Make sure all primers are fully seated but not crushed.
    Try a box of factory ammo. If it goes bang the problem is not in the weapon.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    If the primer compound is upset with the first strike no amount of additional strikes will set the primer off. Make sure all primers are fully seated but not crushed.
    Try a box of factory ammo. If it goes bang the problem is not in the weapon.
    Good advice.

Roach_68
    I'll pick up a few boxes of factory stuff this weekend, I've shot 60rds of Winchester through it and had one misfire but I chalked that up to contaminated powder, when I poured it out it was all clumps and yellow in color. The box was super old stock, it was on the shelf so long at the LGS the top was completely covered in dust. In the mean time I'll tear the bolt down, is there a good write up some where for setting firing pin protrusion and spring length?

Basic Member
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...rotrusion-Data

I like .045" to .050" on mine.
    Good luck.

Roach_68
    Thank ya sir