Thread: New Savage 10FLCP-SR suggestions for scope rail rings and scope

Bob Mick

New Savage 10FLCP-SR suggestions for scope rail rings and scope

Recently purchased a Savage 10FLCP-SR in 308 and would appreciate input for scope rail, rings and scopes. Rifle came with 0 moa rail but I think I might want a 20 moa rail for shooting 400+ yds. I am considering a vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 scope. All suggestions appreciated. Thank you

If you need ANY cant to be able to shoot past 400 yards, then that Vortex is a real tin can... So how far are you REALLY going to shoot?
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Bob Mick
    I can only shoot 100 yds locally but will be going to Ohio where my brother has an 1000yd range set up. Realistically I would think any hunting would probably be within 300-400 yds.

Well then it depends on what bullet, what atmosphere, what speed....
    A 175 SMK, launched at an easy 2500fps in my weather, will need 11.6 mil, or 39.9 moa. That should be easy enough, but don't know that scopes specs, or how much you burned-up to zero it at 100. So...... How often are you really going to shoot at 1k? For your hunting, you don't need it, if you do (are out of adjustment) throw that scope away.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mick View Post
    ... would appreciate input for scope rail, rings and scopes.
    How much do you want to spend?

I use OEM rail, Warne rings (≈ $25), and use Nikon Monarch scopes. It wasn't expensive, but it all works together fine.

Bob Mick
    I haven't purchased the scope. I was actually soliciting information for suggestions for a scope. Most likely any hunting would be within 200 yds.

The 4-16x50 PST has about 21 mils of adjustment. You should be fine out to 1000 providing there are no suprises with the rifle itself. I'd skip the 20 MOA rail myself, but it probably won't hurt to have it. My Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 was 5" high at 100 and out of travel with a 20 MOA rail so I had to shim the rail to get to zero. YMMV
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I have the 4-16x50 on a 20 MOA NF steel base with Vortex precision rings. I havent shot past 800 yards yet but will soon enough. I picked up a demo unit that was still brand new from Euro Optics for about $700 shipped.

If you're serious about hunting within 100yds, and shooting targets out to 1000yds, then 4-16x is about right.

At less than 100yds, shooting at moving targets, I think you'll get lost in anything more powerful than 4x...

FWIW, my Nikon is a 4-16x50, and that seems about right.

Basic Member
    Viper Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP with Ken Farrell 20 MOA base and KF low height rings... Gets me to 1,000+ with plenty of internal elevation adjustment left. I'd be willing to bet you have a tougher time with your .308 dope at that distance - the scope and mounting setup that you suggested would be the least of my worries.

Not to say that the .308 won't get you there, it's just going to take a little more adjustment is all.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

B.Weaver
    Hey, sounds like you and I are looking for the exact same thing. FLCP-SR in .308 and all. Looks like I don't quite have the budget that you do (was hoping for a scope under $350) but other than that, pretty much the same! Interested to see what's suggested.

Basic Member
    I have a vortex viper pst 4-16x50 on mine and love it. I have the 6x24x50 on some others and truth be told, I rarely go above 14 power. at 14 seems to be the best magnification and eye alignment that works for me. great scope and the moa reticle is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Weaver View Post
    Hey, sounds like you and I are looking for the exact same thing. FLCP-SR in .308 and all. Looks like I don't quite have the budget that you do (was hoping for a scope under $350) but other than that, pretty much the same! Interested to see what's suggested.
    Looking for a scope for less than $350......then you definitely need to check out this link :
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...pa4-14xffp.htm

I have two of these and have been 110% satisfied with both.....
    [B][I][U]" We have met the enemy.... and he is us ! "[/U][/I][/B][I] (POGO)[/I]

Bob Mick
    Well current circumstances will prohibit me from getting anything immediately, and the higher I want to go the longer I will have to wait, so I will consider a cheaper scope and setup.

Basic Member
    I wouldnt think the viper would need the rail but if dont bottom it out zroing with why not have it? Theres just that much more elevation you have.

Bob Mick
    What Caliber are you shooting with that scope?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mick View Post
    What Caliber are you shooting with that scope?
    If you are asking me.........308
    [B][I][U]" We have met the enemy.... and he is us ! "[/U][/I][/B][I] (POGO)[/I]

Bob Mick
    Okay so if I am realistically going to be shooting 50-100 yds, with possibly hunting ranges at 500 yds max, any suggestions for scopes in the moderate price range($350.00-$700.00)? Natchez has a weaver 2-10x36 tactical for 449.99 on sale

Bob Mick
    Or Primary arms 4-14x44 for $229.00
    Last edited by Bob Mick; 07-01-2015 at 07:52 PM.

I like my Nikon Monarch, 4-16x50...