Thread: Hunting loads for 6.5 Creedmoor

Cam

Hunting loads for 6.5 Creedmoor

What bullets have you used for reloading 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting? I will be hunting Texas hogs and whitetails. What was your load data? Thanks,

Cam

Cam,

When I first got my 6.5 Creedmoor I used factory 129 Interbond ammunition. I quickly learned that bonded bullets, at the distances I was hunting, was too much bullet for the type of hunting that I was doing. We do a lot of drives, as a result I shot two large does (each around 150 lbs dressed) on one shot. The bullet double lunged the first, hit the lower spine on the second, and still passed through.

This past season, I loaded my own, using 140 grain SST and the Hornady Loading Manual max for Norma URP. I did not connect, but at the range I was shooting sub-moa with this combination.

I would also checkout the 6.5 Creedmoor Forum. There is a lot of good data and helpful people on that site.

I loved my 6.5 Creedmoor, but I got a little overzealous in the modification process, making a gun not ideal for my style of hunting. I have since sold it, but stuck with the 6.5 cartridge family.
    Last edited by Geo_Erudite; 05-21-2015 at 04:39 PM.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

If you pray to the alter of Hodgdon and there is no alternative to H4350, then that site will be useful. Otherwise, grab a manual and start loading. I've used 760/414 & Superformance, both with great success to a mile. According to the Pressure Trace, RL-17, & Superformance are both more stable in the Creed than 4350. 4350 is fine and dandy, just not the only game in town. There is never "A" magic load, just find what your rifle likes. If you reach book max, your over pressure. If you don't care, then party-on, but your pressures are over 60,000psi.
    Last edited by darkker; 05-19-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I use H4350. in my old gun 42.5 gr with a hunting 140 vld did the trick very well

new gun I've used factory 140 amax and they put the smack down on two deer last fall, no complaints.

can't go wrong with either. unfortunately vld prices have been getting worst. amax is the best cost effective high performance. H4350 is tough to beat and worth the time to track down

Cam
    I was thinking about using a 125gr Partition for deer and hog. I have not had success with the SST bullets at ranges under 150 yards and do not like them for ranges where I expect to be shooting under 200 yards because they just do not open up IME.

Thoughts on bullet types?

I have some Superformance and Varget powder to try my first loads with.

Cam

Depends on your skill level as a shooter. If you can generally hit somewhere in the general area of the shoulder you wanted, Speer Hot-Cor or a partition are good choices. If you can choose the artery you want to hit, I've had very nice results with the 140gr. NCC.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

jb6.5
    129gr ib's are the best bullet I've found for the creedmoor, just can't find em right now

Basic Member
    I shoot the 129 SST and my son and sister does also. With the 3 new CM rifles we own we've killed 6 whitetail all dropped in their tracks.

I like the nosler accubonds in that cal. I shoot a .260 but one shot kills on everything that has been shot with it.