Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axis trigger

I'm pretty new to rifle shooting. Are there any people that like the stock trigger pull better?? Also why doesn't savage just equip the rifle with a lighter trigger pull in the first place?? Originally I was planning on going with the axis 2 having read so many great things about the acutrigger. But I decided to go with the heavy barrel and finding my one scope instead. I'm thinking I will try the stock trigger for a while and then decide if I want to change it

rfd12fv
    once you've pulled a really *good* trigger, your last post's question about the axis will be immediately answered and you'll see the shining light.

the reason for that axis hb heavy trigger is to keep costs down and allow the customer to modify as need be, which is why there are timney triggers and diy trigger mods.

imo, the accu-trigger is nowhere near as good as a timney,

I had always chalked the reason for heavy triggers up to liability. Someone somewhere must have done a study showing that triggers with x newtons of pull and y millimeters of sear engagement are safe for 99.9% of idiots.

I also recall seeing somewhere that Savage rifles were specified to have a minimum 0.015" of sear engagement. It seems that 0.005" gives a nice, clean break that is still bump safe with reasonable spring compression. This adds up with the Axises I've had, since a 0.010" shim (or somewhere in that neighborhood) usually works just fine.

Basic Member
    I found the original triggers of my two Axis rifles to be tolerable, but seeing the decent accuracy I was getting and knowing how much a really good trigger can contribute to the shooter being able to exploit all of the accuracy potential of a rifle, I opted to do some mods. I have since tried a couple of Axis 2 rifles with the Accu-trigger and, frankly, I prefer my modified triggers. As to why they didn't put in a better trigger to begin with -- cost, simplicity of manufacture, safety pretty well sum it up, I think.

IUOE-Mike
    I went ahead and ordered a Timney from EABCO, had the best price I could find on one @ $95.. my "budget" Axis is already sitting at just under 1k whats another $100.. lol

Had my Axis out today. I felt the tiniest bit of grit today in the trigger for the first time. The Timney or Rifle basix don't require any inletting mods to the stock do they? I'm still impressed with it as is. My wife, who bought it for me, also bought two boxes of TullAmmo steel case crap. Groups as big as my outstreatched hand. PMC Bronze, and American Eagle, cute little clover leafs. Now, what to do with a box and a half of crap ammo...
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Had my Axis out today. I felt the tiniest bit of grit today in the trigger for the first time. The Timney or Rifle basix don't require any inletting mods to the stock do they?

drop in, piece of cake - you'll wonder why you didn't put one in from the get-go ... promise.

I'm still impressed with it as is.

but it can be *SO* much better ........

My wife, who bought it for me, also bought two boxes of TullAmmo steel case crap. Groups as big as my outstreatched hand. PMC Bronze, and American Eagle, cute little clover leafs. Now, what to do with a box and a half of crap ammo...

give it away to the less fortunate and build yer own ammo, its easy, will be incredibly more accurate, will cost far less and the savings can go into buying even more primers, powder and bullets - the brass just gets reused over and over and over and ....

What trigger spring do you use with the Timney? I've already cut my factory spring.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    What trigger spring do you use with the Timney? I've already cut my factory spring.
    the one that timney provides. they even include an extra C clip in case the axis one gets flipped into a dark hole.

anyone can install an axis timney trigger, even my 11 year old grandson, all by hisself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12