Thread: Hornady 17 WSM IN Stock

Basic Member

Hornady 17 WSM IN Stock

Basic Member
    no takers ? any thoughts ? I will see I got a case

ebrown
    Thanks. I ordered some immediately

Basic Member
    I cannot believe Midway is the only place I have seen the Hornady 17 WSM and they still have some today

ebrown
    I'm pretty convinced it's actually made by Winchester. Two reasons:

- The ballistics data on Winchester, Hornady, and American Eagle 20 grain ammo boxes is exactly the same. What's the chance two different factories could get that perfectly aligned?

- I contacted Hornady and asked them whether they had any plans to load non-lead for .17 WSM, pointing out that they already make a .17 non-lead bullet. I live in California (short pause while the jeers and catcalls die away) and without that it's not going to be a hunting rifle in four years. The response from Hornady essentially said I needed to ask Winchester because Winchester was "taking the lead". If Hornady can't say whether they are going to load their bullet into their ammo, it's unlikely that it's actually their ammo.

I recently bought a cronograph, and soon I want to go to the range and see if there's any difference in speed or accuracy. I'll be surprised if there is.

Basic Member
    let me know :) I e-mail Hornady a few months ago and they told me the ammo was there own, (Probably made by CCI I am sure)

Quote Originally Posted by ebrown View Post
    I'm pretty convinced it's actually made by Winchester. Two reasons:

- The ballistics data on Winchester, Hornady, and American Eagle 20 grain ammo boxes is exactly the same. What's the chance two different factories could get that perfectly aligned?

- I contacted Hornady and asked them whether they had any plans to load non-lead for .17 WSM, pointing out that they already make a .17 non-lead bullet. I live in California (short pause while the jeers and catcalls die away) and without that it's not going to be a hunting rifle in four years. The response from Hornady essentially said I needed to ask Winchester because Winchester was "taking the lead". If Hornady can't say whether they are going to load their bullet into their ammo, it's unlikely that it's actually their ammo.

I recently bought a cronograph, and soon I want to go to the range and see if there's any difference in speed or accuracy. I'll be surprised if there is.
    CCI and Hornady 17 cal ammunition is all made by CCI.
    Winchester 17 cal ammunition is made by Olin Corp.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...to-17HMR-Rifle
    Somewhere around post #30 it becomes very evident that there's more than one manufacturer of 17 rimfire ammo.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

ebrown
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    CCI and Hornady 17 cal ammunition is all made by CCI.
    Winchester 17 cal ammunition is made by Olin Corp.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...to-17HMR-Rifle
    Somewhere around post #30 it becomes very evident that there's more than one manufacturer of 17 rimfire ammo.
    That thread is about .17 HMR. I totally agree with you that there is more than one manufacturer of 17 rimfire ammo. I have not yet seen any particular evidence that there is more than one manufacturer of .17 Winchester Super Magnum rimfire ammunition. I'm not suggesting I know there isn't, just expressing an opinion in the absence of good evidence.