I had a post describing an issue I was having getting my resized brass to fit the chamber of my new 260 Rem in the Savage Centerfire forum, but thought the discussion might be more appropriate here. The problem was that even after resizing the brass and pushing the shoulder back by .002, the cases were still a very tight, sticky fit in the chamber. When I resized enough to get an easy fit, the shoulder was pushed back by up to .008.

Following some good advice received here, I used a marker to draw four lines the length of a case that I had resized enough to push the shoulder back by .002". I then chambered the case and forced the bolt closed and open about five or six times. turns out the neck and shoulder showed no friction at all, and the lines were worn off about 1/2" above the head of the case, just above the webbing. Obviously the problem is that the chamber is so tight that the sides of the cases are not resized enough until the shoulder gets pushed way too far back.

The question is, what to do to solve this? Custom dies? Have the chamber honed slightly wider? I also see the Redding offers "small base" body dies in 260 Rem. Is that the ticket? And mostly out of interest (but also because I think I'm having the same problem with a 22-250) what is the best thing to do if a small base die is not available in a given caliber?