Thread: Feeding Problems 12FCV

jstanreid

Feeding Problems 12FCV

I have a new 12 FCV that has been to the range twice. I have had two intermittent problems with the magazine feeding properly.

First, sometimes the round does not come up far enough for the bolt to engage it. I have figured out that you must be very sure that the magazine is all of the way in. It appears to be fully seated but it may not be. However, even after ensuring that it is seated and firing a couple of rounds, the failure to engage still occurs from time to time. More often than not, when it occurs, it is on the last round.

Second, and less frequent, the nose of the round will pop up as the bolt pushes it out of the magazine and it will jam in the throat, above the bore.

I have searched this site, reviewed the owners manual, and Google. Nothing in the manual but I found some posts that suggest spring tension and lip modifications. I am unable, however, to find any more information as to what part(s) of the lip need to be modified or -- more importantly, how to remove the spring.

Love the rifle so far. Any assistance would be appreciate.

I have a 12FCV (Accustock model) as well. Here are some thoughts:

1) Double-check that you truly are seating the mag fully every time. I have only experienced the first problem that you describe when the mag is not actually fully seated. Make sure that you insert the mag with the back edge slightly higher than the front edge and then rock the front edge of the mag up until it locks into place. I've never had the problem after figuring that out. If you still have the problem, double-check that your action is correctly seated in the stock. If it is not, I think it would be possible that a fully seated mag may not present the cartridges high enough to be stripped out of the mag correctly.

2) Regarding the second problem: Assuming that your mag is fully seated, I find this only happens if you push the bolt forward too gingerly. That is what I did when my gun was new too. Push the bolt forward firmly without hesitation and all cartridges chamber without problems.

Hope that helps. If these suggestions don't help, I would get on the phone with Savage. They may send you a new mag to try out or take the rifle back for inspection. Maybe there truly is something wrong.

Good luck!